Atlanta restaurants celebrate the Olympics
Finally. The Olympics are here once more. And many area restaurants are gearing up to celebrate the festivities with viewing parties, specials and Olympic-themed menus. Where will you watch?
Places to watch:
- Rosebud will host a Taste of the UK tonight in honor of the opening ceremonies. The menu includes rice fritters, fish & chips and curried Springer Mountain chicken legs. The event is being held in conjunction with 11 Alive, who will set up flat-screen televisions for guests to watch the opening ceremony. Rosebud parking lot, 6:30 p.m. $34 ticket includes food and two drink tickets.
- All four locations of Meehan’s Public House will be televising the games over the two week period.
- Cypress Street Pint and Plate will offer $4 pints of Fullers London Pride on draft during the opening ceremonies tonight.
- Get $1 off your purchase at Cowlicks Yogurt and Floats when you mention the secret word (Olympics) at the register. Promotion runs Monday July 30- Friday Aug. 3. Valid at both the Vinings and Sandy Springs locations.
- Shula’s 347 Grill will be supporting Team USA during National Hamburger Day on Saturday, July 28. From 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., buy one Shula’s Signature Hamburger with fries and receive a second for free. Dine-in only, no substitutions on sides. The restaurant will also televise the London games.
- P’cheen International Bistro & Pub will host a viewing party for the opening ceremonies tonight. Wear your national colors and receive a complimentary shot.
- In honor of the games, today through Sunday, Aug. 12, Spice Market at the W Atlanta – Midtown will upgrade its Ginger Margarita (normally made with Hornitos Silver for $12) to Jose Cuervo Gold for $6.
- Big Chow Grill will offer a specialty sushi roll through Aug. 12. The “Olympic Gold” features avocado, spicy onion, salmon and black tobiko for $8.50.
- Edgewood Corner Tavern will offer Olympic-themed specials through Sunday, Aug.12. Look for $3 Record-setting sliders including the barbecue chicken with coleslaw and fried pickles, brisket topped with Gouda cheese and salsa, fried green tomato with pimento cheese and arugula, mini tavern burger with cheddar and bacon. The tavern will also serve $4 Olympic Torch wings and $6 Gold Medal Martinis with edible gold stars.
Fun and games:
- Get in on the action with the Bar Olympics hosted by Ormsby’s. Teams of two will compete in bocce, darts, pool, shuffleboard, skee-ball, pinball or Pac-Man. Prizes include a VIP trip for two to Terrapin’s Hop Harvest Festival, bar cash and more. Sunday, July 29 and Sunday, Aug. t 5 from 1 – 5 p.m. Space is limited, and guests must register in advance. 404-968-2033.
- For those who wish to host their own viewing parties, Uncle Julio’s is offering plato gordo, fajita, taco, enchilada, tamale and appetizer party packs. The restaurant will also offer a drawing for one of 30 gift certificates valued at $100.
Read more about tonight’s opening ceremony.
–by Jenny Turknett, Food and More blog