LeRoy’s Fried Chicken and more restaurant news
LeRoy's Fried Chicken
Need a little Southern-style comfort food on the run? There’s a new soul food take-away in town. LeRoy’s Fried Chicken, which recently opened on the Westside, can help you get your fix.
This is not your typical chicken shack. If you have a hankering for some crispy bird, try the thick-crusted lard-fried chicken here. The moist Springer Mountain Farms chicken is fried-to-order.
And fried chicken isn’t complete without a few hearty Southern sides to round things out. Choose from biscuits, collards, fries, coleslaw or mac n’ cheese for a completely gluttonous comfort meal. If you are overcome by the heady smell wafting from the grease-dotted cardboard box, tear into your chicken at one of the few high-top tables at the chicken stand.
And if, on these dog days of summer, you crave something a little lighter, try a salad or a fried chicken-liver sandwich. The salad is topped with — what else? — fried chicken. Maybe instead you can cool off with the Cheerwine or a “Royal Palmer” (half lemonade, half hibiscus tea).
The only thing standing in between you and your Southern comfort may be the hunt for a parking space if the four in the lot are full.
Anyone tried it yet?
11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. and 5-10 p.m. daily. 1021 Howell Mill Road N.W., Atlanta. 404-872-7888. $-$$.
In other news:
- The Woodruff Arts center announced that Bhavesh Patel has been named the new executive chef at Table 1280. Chef Patel, who recently served as chef de cuisine of Midtown’s Spice Market, has created a menu that both utilizes local ingredients and reflects his background in global cuisine.
- The staff at Ray’s Killer Creek is offering Pig & Pinot, an event which includes a sampling of pork-inspired dishes and five varieties of Pinot, held at Ray’s on the River. Advance tickets required. Proceeds to benefit the Primus Sanders Foundation for an employee who experienced a tragic fall and is recovering at the Shepherd Center. 1-4 p.m. July 23. $35. (770) 649-0064.
- Woodfire Grill is hosting a special wine dinner to benefit a local team participating in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure walk. Cocktails and hors d’oeuvres begin at 6 p.m. followed by a four-course dinner with wine pairings at 7 p.m. Reservations required. July 24. $145. 1782 Cheshire Bridge Road, Atlanta. 404-347-9055.
- Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar is hosting a series of events this summer to benefit local charities. They will cost $25 per person and feature hors d’oeuvres with wine pairings on the restaurant’s refurbished patio. Upcoming events will benefit the ALT Pink Foundation Inc. (July 29) and Camp Twin Lakes (Aug. 5). They are from 6-8 p.m. and attendees will receive a $25 gift card to use on on their next visit to Fleming’s. Reservations are encouraged. 4501 Olde Perimeter Way, Atlanta. 770-698-8112. UPDATED 7/19
- Whitney Miller, Season 1 winner of Masterchef with Gordon Ramsay will be signing her new cookbook, “Modern Hospitality: Simple Recipes with Southern Charm,” at the Decatur location of The Cook’s Warehouse this Friday, July 22 from 5-7 p.m. The event is free but attendees are encouraged to RSVP online for planning purposes. 180 West Ponce de Leon Ave., Decatur. 404-377-4005.
- La Tavola is holding its 9th annual Tomatofeast July 27-Aug. 6. During this time, seasonally-inspired Italian dishes featuring local heirloom tomatoes will be available a la carte or as a three-course prix fixe meal ($35 plus tax & gratuity). 992 Virginia Ave., 404-873-5430.
- Spice Market at the W Atlanta-Midtown now has a new option for vegetarians. Vegetarian Bento Boxes ($24) will be offered on Mondays and will include:
- Vegetables in Green Curry
- Jasmine Rice
- Pea Shoot, Snap Pea Salad, Spiced Oil
- Honeydew Gazpacho, Spicy Grilled Shrimp, Lime and Mint
- Pressed Tofu, Butter Braised Bok Choy, Coriander Pesto
188 14th St., Atlanta. 404-724-2550.
–by Jenny Turknett, Food & More blog
– Jenny Turknett writes about Southern and Neighborhood Fare for the AJC Dining Team. She also publishes her own blog, Going Low Carb.