Cupcake craze continues, more Father’s Day options and restaurant news
With three new cupcake shops opening this summer, the cupcake craze appears to be going strong.
Already open is The Cup Gourmet, touting itself as “a gourmet cupcake cafe.” The Cup serves a variety of cupcakes, cheesecakes, coffees and teas. Cupcake flavors run the gamut from the classic red velvet and carrot to the more exotic key lime sublime and brown sugar with rum sauce. The Cup Gourmet also offers a rotating menu of gluten-free and vegan cupcakes. 7 a.m.- 8 p.m. Mondays-Wednesdays, 7 a.m.- 9 p.m. Thursdays-Fridays, 8 a.m.- 9 p.m. Saturdays, 8 a.m.- 7 p.m. Sundays. 705 Town Blvd., Atlanta. 678-705-9883. $.
Also opening this month is The Great Cupcake Company, an all-natural bakery that uses 70% organic ingredients and offers vegan and gluten-free options. Expect to find 12 of the shop’s 21 rotating flavors available in the bakery case each day. Customers — my kids included — will delight in the “cupcake creation station” where you can design your own cupcake. 10 a.m.- 10 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays, 11 a.m.- 7 p.m. Sundays. 2829 Peachtree Road, Atlanta. 404-343-1963. $.
Later this summer, Buckhead’s popular CamiCakes will open a second location in Vinings in the former Sweet Pockets spot. 10:30 a.m.- 8:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays. 4438 Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta. 770-431-6611. $.
In other news:
- Quickly has opened another Atlanta location in Duluth. Quickly is known for its bubble teas and brown sugar shaved ice but also serves savory specialties such as fish cakes, octopus balls and noodle soups. 11 a.m.- midnight, daily. 3780 Old Norcross Road, Duluth. 770-476-5988. $.
- Cowlicks Yogurt and Floats recently set up shop in Vinings and has another location planned for Dunwoody. Cowlicks is a twist on an old soda fountain, offering self-serve yogurt and floats. They offer 10 yogurt flavors and 28 topping choices for you to customize your cool treats. 11 a.m.- 10 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 11 a.m.- 11 p.m. Fridays-Sundays. 2460 Cumberland Pkwy., Atlanta. 770-433-9008. $.
More Father’s Day dining:
Since I originally posted a list of ideas for Father’s Day dining, I received information about a number of additional restaurant specials for Sunday. Below are more options for celebrating Dad this weekend.
- Double Zero Napoletana will be open on Father’s Day this Sunday. Dads will be treated to a Castellucci Hospitality Group gift card good towards a meal at Double Zero Napoletana, Sugo or Iberian Pig, as well as a free golf swing analysis with Craig Forney, one of Georgia’s top golf instructors. 4-9 p.m. Sunday, June 19. 5825 Roswell Road, Atlanta. 404-991-3666. $$-$$$$.
- This weekend, West Egg Café will offer what they call “father-friendly” brunch items (both Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.). Additionally, they will have the Wednesday night $10 Burger and Pint special on Sunday night. The special includes the double-patty burger with American cheese and either a beer or from-scratch milkshake. 8 a.m.- 10 p.m. Sunday. 1100 Howell Mill Road, Atlanta. 404-872-3973.
- All Georgia Yoforia stores are recognizing Father’s Day from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday, June 19th with free Yoforia (up to $5) for Dads.
- Four Seasons Hotel Atlanta’s Park 75 has a special day planned for Dads who are Harley-Davidson aficionados. During brunch with what they call “manly favorites,” motorcycles will be will be on display and two will be available for test drives. (Must have appropriate license and clothing.) 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Sunday, June 19. 75 14th St., Atlanta. 404-253-3840. $65 adults, $30 children 6+, free for kids 5 and under.
–by Jenny Turknett, Food & More blog
– Jenny Turknett writes about Southern and Neighborhood Fare for the AJC Dining Team. She also publishes her own blog, Going Low Carb.