No suspicious devices were found at Apalachee High School in Barrow County, which was evacuated this morning after the threat of an explosion was discovered, authorities said.
“The students are preparing to re-enter the building at this time,” Lt. Matt Guthas said in a statement just before 1 p.m. “The students are receiving lunch at this time as well. Everyone is safe and there is no need for undue alarm.”
A Barrow County Sheriff’s Office bomb-sniffing dog was used to search the school for possible explosives, but none were initially detected, he said.
Authorities said the threat originated from a phrase written on a bathroom wall in the school that did not specifically use the word “bomb,” but did make an insinuation that authorities considered a threat, Guthas said.
The incident remains under investigation.
“The investigation will seek to determine the responsible person(s) for the threat,” Guthas said.
East Jackson Comprehensive High School students are returning to class after evacuating the building this morning after the discovery of a bomb threat scrawled on a restroom wall.
The threat said a bomb would go off at the school today.
“While this was written in a graffiti fashion, Jackson County Schools will err on the side of student safety and evacuate EJCHS until the building has been cleared by trained officers,” the school said in a statement on its Facebook page this morning.
Students moved to the high school’s stadium until an all clear was provided, the school said. With the evacuation over, dismissal will take place at the normal time.
Earlier, the school offered to relocate the high students from the stadium if necessary due to the weather. The district posted updates on Facebook, its website and the district call-out messenger throughout the time of the evacuation.
At around 12:10 p.m., the school district said in a Facebook update that law enforcement had entered
Mt. Zion High School has lifted its lockdown after police searched the Clayton County school for a possible weapon earlier today, multiple media outlets reported this afternoon.
The power went off but was restored around 11 a.m., according to Channel 2 Action News. Alive11 News reported that the lockdown was initially a precaution to ensure that students didn’t leave the building, but the lockdown then continued due to a weapon threat.
11Alive tweeted from a press briefing at the scene that a student is in custody because of a “prank gone bad” and will be “prosecuted through the juvenile system,” according to an authority speaking there.
Authorities have declined to identify the student but did say they found the student through eyewitnesses and social media, according to 11Alive.
White County High School has lifted a lockdown that began earlier this morning after a student brought a gun to the school.
All students are safe, the school district told the AJC.
The lockdown began around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday and ended around 11 a.m.
At 8 a.m. this morning, Channel 2 Action News reported a person at the high school called the White County Sheriff’s Office, stating that a female student barricaded herself in a restroom stall.
She had brought a gun to school, according to Channel 2, and was threatening to injure herself. She did not threaten to harm anybody else.
After two teachers and a counselor spoke to the girl outside the bathroom, she was transported for evaluation, and the lockdown ended, Channel 2 said.
Earlier today, Channel 2 reported that the White County Sheriff’s Office was on the scene.
White County is located about 90 miles north of Atlanta.
A Mattie’s Call was canceled today after a missing 70-year-old Atlanta man was located.
Alvin Kirkland, who reportedly has dementia and is in the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease, had last been seen around 2:50 p.m. in the 600 block of Cascade Avenue, Atlanta police said.
He was found several hours later in good health, police said.
Missing since Thursday, an elderly man with dementia has been found safe, an Atlanta police spokesman said.
Just before 9:40 a.m. Saturday, Sgt. Greg Lyon said 75-year-old Clinton Jones was “located in good health.”
The update came less than 12 hours after Atlanta police issued a Mattie’s Call for Jones, who was last seen about 7 p.m. Thursday at his home in the 2200 block of Sargent Place.
Jones had wandered off in the past, police said Friday. His wife and daughter said the last time Jones wandered away, he was found in Buffalo, N.Y.
Lyon did not say where Jones was found this time. No other details were released.
About 8 p.m. Decatur police sent an email blast to residents asking for help locating a 13-year-old girl.
The email said Bailey O’Neil was last seen about 5:30 p.m. in the area of 701 W. College Avenue in Decatur. She is 5-foot-2 with waist-length black hair, wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt.
Anyone who sees Bailey, or knows where she is, should call 911.
Brookhaven police were still waiting Saturday to learn the identity of multiple explosive devices found in a home near the intersection of Navajo Trail and Candler Lake West.
“We don’t expect to know anything further until early next week,” said Major Brandon Gurley, spokesman for the Brookhaven Police Department.
Police were serving a search warrant at the residence when they found the first suspicious device, Gurley said. Once police moved out and the bomb squad moved in, he said other devices were found.
For more than six hours Friday, Brookhaven police searched the home.
Gurley said four people have been detained but charges were still pending Saturday.
- Staff writer Gracie Bonds Staples compiled this report.
New Manchester High School students, who had to evacuate the building this morning following a bomb threat, have returned to class, a school official said.
Douglas schools spokeswoman Karen Stroud said law enforcement officers did not find anything during a search of the building and the school will dismiss at its regularly scheduled time.
Stroud said a text message sent to a student, and then shared with other students, led to the evacuation of New Manchester High School about 11 a.m.
The school is at 4925 Hwy. 92/166 in Douglasville.
A toddler reporting missing Sunday night has been found safe, Clayton County police said this morning.
London Noel Pryor, 3, was reported missing about 11 p.m. Sunday from the 1800 block of Deer Crossing Circle, Clayton County police spokesman Ron Coloma said.
Coloma said in an email at 7:30 a.m. today that the girl has been found safe.