Here’s some college football notes for your reading pleasure while you try to figure out your fantasy football team lineups for this weekend.
You might have seen a tweet floating around, or if you’re an Alabama fan, you might have already seen the slideshow at AL.com of Miss Alabama 2013’s dress for the contest. Nothing like trying to outdo Miss Alabama USA 2012 Katherine Webb, AKA A.J. McCarron’s girlfriend.
One of a kind dress Miss Alabama had designed for the Miss America competition…. This can’t be real life pic.twitter.com/nMbsRxHQjo
— Caleigh Grace (@caleighgrace) September 5, 2013
Now to football. Here are some tidbits from the ACC notebook that will be in Friday’s AJC. Buy it anyway.
• Did you know that three of Clemson’s top four defensive linemen are from Georgia. They include DE Vic Beasley (from Adairsville), who had two sacks against Georgia, and DT Grady Jarrett (Rockdale County) and DE Corey Crawford (Carver-Columbus).
• TE Nick O’Leary, who is Jack Nicklaus’ grandson, matched his total of three TD catches from 2012 with three in the opening win over Pitt. It was the first time a FSU TE had more than one TD catch in a game since 1994.
• I love the nickname of “Wild and Free” given to FSU RBs James Wilder Jr. and Devonta Freeman.
• Miami DB Ray Lewis III is the son of former NFL star Ray Lewis, who played for the Hurricanes from 1993-95
• Look out for North Carolina freshman WR Johnathan “Bug” Howard (Wilcox County), who had two catches for 32 yards in his first game. Coach Larry Fedora loves him.
• Here’s Virginia coach Mike London on Oregon: “They look like the Green Bay Packers out there. I mean this: The guy that goes to get the tee after the kickoff is really fast, and their whole team is fast.” The Cavs get to play the Ducks Saturday.
• Beamer Ball is hurting. Virginia Tech hasn’t blocked a punt against a FBS team or scored a defensive touchdown since 2010, according to The Washington Post, so look for more starters on special teams. Especially after Alabama’s Christion Jones burned them in the opener.
• Another freshman WR from Georgia, Wake Forest’s Jonathan Williams (Mays) had five catches for 143 yards in an opening win over Presbyterian.
And this has nothing to do with a former Miss Alabama.
I drafted Peyton Manning, Dez Bryant and Julio Jones a couple of weeks, but I play in a pass-happy PPR league, where yardage bonuses pile up for WRs and QBs and passing TDs are worth six points.
My RBs are not the best – Darren Sproles and Ryan Mathews are my top two – but I took a late chance on Le’Veon Bell, who’ll soon be back.
If you play, best of success this weekend.