2:31 pm April 27, 2012, by Christopher Seward
KFC has been ordered to pay $8 million to the family of a girl whose parents said she consumed tainted chicken that left the child brain damaged and paralyzed.
Monika Samaan was 7 when she was stricken by salmonella poisoning in 2005 after eating a KFC chicken Twister in Sydney, Australia, her lawyers argued in a New South Wales court, according to a report by News.com.au.
A Twister is a wrap that has chicken strips or roasted chicken, tomato, lettuce and mayonnaise wrapped in a tortilla.
The child’s parents said she was in a coma for six months and was left with spastic quadriplegia resulting from severe brain damage after eating the food.
KFC, which denied its chicken was tainted, plans to appeal the ruling. “We believe the evidence showed KFC did not cause this tragedy,” a company official said in a statement.
Even with the Australian dollar exchange rate, Louisville, Ky.-based KFC still would be facing a $7.6 million payout if it loses its planned appeal Down Under.
Get inside Atlanta's and national business news and how it affects you.
Vacation stops, manage subscriptions and more