Another chain of book stores is calling it quits.
Borders Group, which had shuttered six metro Atlanta book stores, will shut down its remaining seven locations as part of a company-wide liquidation announced Monday, AJC writer Arielle Kass reports.
The Ann Arbor, Mich., bookseller once operated more than 1,000 stores nationally and had 399 when the move was made to end all operations and lay off 10,700 employees, Kass writes.
Two liquidation firms, Hilco Merchant Resources and Gordon Brothers Group, will dissolve the company, Kass reports.
The move came after a bid fell through from private equity firm Najafi Cos, Kass writes.Creditors and landlords said liquidation was a better deal.
Also in the AJC:
- Few resign in Atlanta schools test-cheating scandal
- Cameras to watch city as Atlanta OKs surveillance center
- Pressure builds for Cobb to explain hiring freeze
- Anxiety rising over financial issues
- Small businesses concerned about debt stalemate
In other media: