Georgia Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine had the following tips for homeowners suffering from flood damage:
For those without insurance (Oxendine estimates that’s 80 percent of those affected):
– Start dealing with the damage, either personally or by contacting a professional. Get the wet carpet out of the house. Do not save the padding. Throw it out.
– Get air flowing in the house, but do not use the air-conditioner. Open the windows. Use large fans and dehumidifiers.
– Hope the federal government approves FEMA money to assist Georgians financially.
For those with flood insurance:
– Document the damage for your insurance company. Make sure to take photos.
– Coordinate with your insurance agent to get a restoration company to dry, clean and decontaminate everything affected.
What if a sewer or septic tank backed up?
Oxendine says bare-bones policies do not cover that, but premium policies generally do. So make sure to check on that.
In the future, is flood insurance worth