The Braves come home to Atlanta tomorrow for a couple of exhibition games against the Tigers this weekend, so it’s time to get serious about the season, which opens Sunday in Philadelphia. Some negative things happened this offseason that we could all vent about, but this is the time of year to be positive. So with the season almost upon us, what are you most excited about?
Here’s what I’m looking forward to (in no particular order):
• Watching Jordan Schafer develop in center field. I saw him play in Orlando a couple of weeks ago, and he’s amazing to watch out there. Remember that feeling of knowing Andruw Jones was going to get to any ball hit in the air, even if it looked like he shouldn’t have a shot at it? I got the same feeling watching Schafer.
• Knowing Tommy Hanson is waiting in Gwinnett when the inevitable injury to a starting pitcher occurs. It happens every year — sometimes more often than others — a starter goes down and the Braves bring up a kid. This year, the kid is ready.
• Seeing Brian McCann take the next step in his young, stellar career. Heading into his fourth full season, Mac is already the cornerstone of the franchise and a three-time All-Star who has a career average of .297 and handles the staff like a 10-year veteran.
• Seeing what Chipper Jones has in mind for an encore after winning the batting title last year. He was hitting over .400 well into June in 2008, and seems to be getting better with age.
• Watching Tom Glavine win in a Braves uniform. I know there are a lot of you who are unhappy Glavine is in the rotation over Hanson, but it’s true that you can’t have too much pitching, so I’m not complaining. The crafty lefty still has something in the tank. Plus, the loss of Skip and Pete’s retirement makes me appreciate the ties to some great memories.
So how about you? What has you psyched for this season?