PEOPLE’S PHARMACY: Don’t use kerosene to kill lice

Q: My kids and I have a major problem with lice. We have spent lots of time and money fighting them, but it doesn’t seem to be doing any good. A friend has recommended kerosene, but that freaks me out. Isn’t there a more natural way to free us from nit-picking?

A: Do not use kerosene to kill lice. It is toxic and a fire hazard. Lice have developed resistance to many of the common treatments used against them. The Food and Drug Administration has just approved a new prescription lice medication. The treatment, Ulesfia, contains benzyl alcohol as the active ingredient. This compound interferes with the critters’ respiration, so lice are unlikely to develop resistance.

Many parents tell us that Listerine works against lice. It contains ethyl alcohol along with a number of herbal oils that seem to kill lice.

Joe Graedon is a pharmacologist and Teresa Graedon is an expert in medical anthropology and nutrition. They can be reached at peoples pharmacy@gmail.com.

One comment Add your comment

Sheila

November 4th, 2009
1:36 pm

Oh goodness, NEVER ever use Kerosene. I heard of a young girl who had lice, and was too afraid to tell her family, so she took Kerosene and dumped it on her hair, and it caught fire because she was SMOKING too…at the same time…anyway, she lost her hair and had lots of burns on her scalp. NEVER use that…there are better ways. Our family used http://www.licetokill.com and it worked. Try more natural items, and avoid the pesticides in the lice shampoos.
-Sheila