Ask Jessica: Belted coats are a cinch.
Q – I’ve seen people wearing belts around bulky winter coats. Some look great, but not sure about others. Is this the new style? …. Traci P – Atlanta
A – I love coats and winter fashion. I mean if we have to deal with cold temps, we might as well look good. A nice coat is always in style, but bulky outerwear makes us lose our shape all winter long which is more frump than flatter.
I’m a fan of belted coats most times. If your coat didn’t come with a belt, or you want to spice up your look, there are plenty of options. How do you decide on the right one?
Here are some quick tips:
- Don’t go for skinny belts; you’ll just lose them in the coat’s bulky/thick fabric. Look for structure and width in your belts for coats.
- Go for elastic belts which can adjust according to how thin or thick your coat will be. And they also accentuate waists really well.
- Choose an obi. Obi belts are thick belts that really define your waist. (They were inspired by the traditional Japanese garb.) And most styles today incorporate a lot of cool design details.
- Try a simple wrap belt which you can tie around your waist—simple yet sexy.
- Add some style with chic details: lace overlay (lace is big this season), studs, chains, bows/ribbons, etc.