Monica headlines Honda Battle of the Bands at Georgia Dome
Grammy-winning Atlanta musician Monica joins the eight marching bands at the annual Honda Battle of the Bands at the Georgia Dome Jan. 28. Photo: Brian Dowling / Picture Group
It’s known as “the Super Bowl for black college bands,” and it packs the Georgia Dome every January.
Eight college marching bands from historically black colleges and universities will showcase their music and showmanship at this annual invitational event, but it will also spotlight the talents of Grammy-winning Atlanta singer and songwriter Monica.
Monica will take the field at the Battle of the Bands on Jan. 28 just weeks before the scheduled release of her seventh album, “New Life.” You can get a taste of the new album on the Georgia native’s website, which features the video for the track “Until It’s Gone.” You can pre-order the album there, too.
Tickets for the event, which begins at 3 p.m. Jan. 28, are available at Ticketmaster or at the Georgia Dome Box Office. Tickets are $10-$12.
The bands participating in this year’s Honda Battle of the Bands are:
- Albany State University’s Marching Rams Show Band
- Bethune Cookman University’s Marching Wildcats
- Jackson State University’s Sonic Boom of the South
- Prairie View A&M University’s Marching Storm
- South Carolina State University’s Marching 101
- Tennessee State University’s Aristocrat of Bands
- Virginia State University’s Marching Trojan Explosion
- Winston-Salem State University’s Red Sea of Sound