The 25th anniversary version of “We are the World” to help Haiti’s earthquake victims is packed with Atlanta representatives – or folks who used to live here.
Here’s a list, that probably isn’t complete.
- Up first, teen pop sensation and Atlanta resident Justin Bieber gets Lionel Richie ’s first line from the original song, “There’s a come a time whne we heed a certain call…,” then duets with Nicole Scherzinger and Jennifer Hudson.
- A few seconds later, Atlanta’s own and Sugarland lead singer Jennifer Nettles gets Paul Simon’s line, “Oh, when it’s time to lend a hand to life,” then duets with Josh Grobin.
- For the first chorus, former Atlantan Janet Jackson duets with her late brother Michael (using archival audio for Michael.)
- Usher sings Huey Lewis’ line, “If you just believe, there’s no way we can fall.”
- One-time (and possibly still current) resident Toni Braxton does some solo singing during the second chorus.
- Akon and Kanye West participate later in the song when the producers at a rap portion. (Jamie Foxx does an imitation of late Georgia native Ray Charles at one point. Not a highlight, sad to say.)
- Other Georgians who sang in the chorus: Zac Brown, Kristian Bush (Sugarland), Keri Hilson, Trey Songz