AMAs 2009: Zac Brown Band, Jason Aldean, Keri Hilson
Keith Urban, wife Nicole Kidman
Atlanta − and Georgia − were well represented at the 2009 American Music Awards (red carpet photos … show photos).
- Former Atlanta resident Whitney Houston, who was honored with the International Star Award, delivered a vocally strong ballad. With lines like “I crashed down, I stumbled, I did not crumble,” she kept the vocals in a safe range but was still powerful.
- Country singer Jason Aldean presented award for Country Duo/Group. Noms included fellow Atlanta/Georgia ties Sugarland and Zac Brown Band (both lost to Rascal Flatts)
- Aldean was also nominated for Country male artist, which was presented by Zac Brown Band, but he lost out to Keith Urban.
- Atlanta R&B singer Keri Hilson lost the Soul/R&B female award to Beyonce.
R&B singer Ne-Yo
- Atlanta rapper T.I. faced off against Eminem and Jay-Z for Rapper/Hip-hop male (Jay-Z took it).
- Atlanta singer Ne-Yo introduced Rihanna, whose “comeback” performance (where did she go?) was less than thrilling. The best part was her red laser beam shoulder pads which glowed in the dark … but everyone wanted to know if that tattoo down the front of her neck was real (we’d bet it’s fake)
Want to know what else everyone’s buzzing about? Find out about Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Adam Lambert, Michael Jackson and more.