• Age: 30
• Occupation: Occupational therapist at South Fulton Medical Center in East Point and a yoga instructor.
“My accessories are multiple pearl necklaces of various sizes and lengths, a white-and-gold oversized ring from Banana Republic and a multicolored paisley print clutch.”
• Signature style: “Eclectic and funky. People often guess that I’m an artist or a writer; never a therapist…
“I don’t have to be trendy. When I try something on, I’m asking myself, ‘Do I feel good in this? Does it make me smile? Does it have good energy?”
• Best find: “Controversy Boutique on Auburn Avenue. My girlfriend and I found it about five years ago.
“Whenever I wear something from there, people always ask, ‘Where did you find that?’ They have some great pieces and the staff is so helpful. They’ll play dress-up with you all day.”
• Fashion weakness: “Shoes. I’m 5′1″ so I’m all about stilettos. I don’t worry about whether I have anything to go with them or not.
“If I like them and the price is right, I buy them. I love getting brand names like Carlos Santana, Steve Madden or BCBGirls without paying the maximum price.
“So I shop Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshalls.”
• Favorite stores: “I like boutiques and [I] have favorite ones all over town. There’s Bill Hallman, Controversy, Fab’rik, Bombay Gal, Cherry Bomb, Ooh La La Fashion Boutique and Rag-O-Rama.”
• Favorite labels: “I don’t really look at labels. I’m looking for clothes that complement me and have a little spunk. When I buy vintage, it feels like recycling and the little green part of me inside is happy.”
• Pet peeve: “Poor quality. I look at the stitching and workmanship. For me, clothing is an investment. It shouldn’t fall apart after you wear it twice.”
• Best fashion compliment: “One of my guy friends made my heart melt when he said, ‘Shavonna is our Carrie Bradshaw,’ with regards to my fashion style.”
By Laura Raines, Pulse editor. Do you or someone you work with have a great sense of style? E-mail us at