Can a backup quarterback really be the NFL’s most overrated player?
He can if he’s Tim Tebow.
Sports Illustrated polled 180 NFL players, asking who they considered the 20 most overrated players in the league. Thirty-four percent named Tebow, making him No. 1 by a landslide.
The Jets’ starting quarterback, Mark Sanchez, tied with Dallas QB Tony Romo for No. 2 with 8 percent of the votes.
Looking at the results, which included eight quarterbacks, it seems possible the players viewed the survey as more of a reverse popularity contest than a true gauge of players whose reputation exceeds their abilities.
Tom Brady? Ndamukong Suh?
Jets coach Rex Ryan seemed amused at having his quarterbacks in the top two positions
“Wow, what are you going to say? I don’t know how to comment on that. I just know I’m happy they’re on my football team — on our football team. Seems like the Jets always get something, you know?”
One current Falcon and two former Falcons made the list. Check out the complete list and then make your nominations.
1.Tim Tebow, New York Jets.
2. Mark Sanchez, New York Jets.
3. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys.
4. Mike Vick, Philadelphia Eagles.
5. Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens.
6. Reggie Bush, Miami Dolphins.
7. Nnamdi Asomugha, Philadelphia Eagles.
8. Michael Crabtree, San Francisco 49ers.
9. Tom Brady, New England Patriots.
10. Ndamukong Suh, Detroit Lions.
11. B.J. Raji, Green Bay Packers.
12.Brian Urlacher, Chicago Bears.
13. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers.
14. Dwayne Bowe, Kansas City Chiefs.
15. Eli Manning, New York Giants.
16. Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers.
17. Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers.
18. Darnell Dockett, Arizona Cardinals.
19. DeAngelo Hall, Washington Redskins.
20. Roddy White, Atlanta Falcons.