SI.com has released its annual “Fortunate 50″ list, and for the first time ever, Woods is not on top. The title of highest-paid U.S. athlete goes to Mayweather, who earned $85 million last year with two big pay-per-view fights — and no endorsements.
Mayweather earned a reported $45 million for his victory over Miguel Cotto in May and $40 million for his win over Victor Ortiz last September. He is currently in jail, serving a three-month sentence for domestic violence.
Woods, at $56.4 million, fell to No. 3 behind rival Phil Mickelson, who earned $60.7 million. It was the first time since SI.com began compiling the list in 2004 that Woods wasn’t on top.
The rest of the top 10:
4. Kobe Bryant, $48.2 million.
5. LeBron James, $45.8 million.
6. Alex Rodriguez, $33.5 million.
7. Peyton Manning, $31 million.
8. Dale Earnhardt Jr., $28.1 million.
9. Derek Jeter, $27.7 million.
10. Larry Fitzgerald, $26.7 million.
The earnings consisted of salary, winnings, bonuses, endorsements and appearance fees, SI.com said.