Falcons coach Mike Smith has been busy filling out his new staff.
Upon returning from Mobile, he shot this little video with the team’s website.
If you can’t watch the entire 9:08, here are some of the highlights:
1. The Falcons have nearly completed their new offensive playbook.
2. Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan with utilize a “multiplicity” of defenses. (Will sprinkle in some 3-4 principles.)
3. The coaches are set to do their specific position-by-position evaluations.
4. They have to concentrate on the top juniors who have applied for the draft between now and the combine.
5. They are getting ready for the combine testing. They will stress mental, physical and psychological testing. He’s looking forward to getting the medical grades from the doctors.
6. To get ready for Free Agency, which starts March 13, the coaching staff is set to get their assignments from the personnel staff of the players they will evaluate. Smith noted that every free agent will not be evaluated.
7. Now that the coaching staff has been revamped, it’s on to revamping the roster. The Falcons will look to returning players, new players via the draft, adding through free agent and possibly trading for players.
8. He brought one large coffee (for himself), chicken bisquits and several Egg McMuffin’s for the morning staff meeting.
–D. Orlando Ledbetter, The Atlanta Falcons beat blog