– Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez was in New York on Thursday to promote “Keep Your Grip Challenge,” an online video game sponsored by Vaseline MEN.
Earlier this offseason, he stated that he did not plan to retire as he’s set to make $5.75 million if next season is played.
However, he told Clifton Brown of The Sporting News that he would likely retire if next season was entirely lost to the NFL labor dispute.
However, he is confident that there will be a season. But if not, he’s ready to walk away.
Got this Tweet from Tony Gonzalez (@TonyGonzalez88) today:
Hey Guys I’m going to be on the NFL Network tonight from 3:30pm – 5pm (PST), check it out it should be a good time! (So that’s 6:30 to 8 p.m. for us EST folks.).
“Would I sit out a whole season and come back — probably not, honestly,” Gonzalez, 35, told Sporting News. “At this point, at my age, I don’t know if that would be smart of me to do something like that. But I’m enjoying the offseason, working out and preparing like I always do.”
“I think it might cut into camp,” Gonzalez said of the labor dispute. “Into the season, I doubt it. Who knows though? Hopefully we can get these issues resolved. The arguments from the owners’ perspective are a little outrageous to me. It’s the No. 1 game in the world. I think there are so many ways you could structure a deal. Maybe there are too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Maybe we should get one or two representatives from each side to hammer it out. But between the owners and the players, that’s a lot of different opinions and that’s why the process is going so slow. That’s why I don’t think it’s going to be resolved anytime soon. But I just don’t see an entire season being taken away. That would be sad. Not just for the players and the owners, but the fans.”
–D. Orlando Ledbetter, The Atlanta Falcons beat blog
Get instant updates on Twitter at AJCFalcons and you can join the Facebook Fan page at AJC Falcons.