BIRDLAND – Most football fans want nothing to do with a player from their team appearing on the cover of the John Madden football game.
Everybody knows about the Madden Curse.
Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan has a shot to appear on the cover of EA Sports’ Madden 2012. But why would he want to be on the cover? He advanced out of the first round of this bracket styled contest. If you are a true Falcons fans, you’ll vote him out of this madness as quickly as possible.
He’s up against Cleveland running back Peyton Hillis this week.
All 32 NFL teams had one player represented. The voting will be done over a four week period at ESPN.com/MaddenVote.
ESPN show SportsNation, which airs at 4 p.m. on ESPN2 Monday through Friday, will be the TV home for this ongoing event.
In the first week of the voting, Ryan pounded Carolina’s Jordan Gross 89 to 11 percent.
More than 6.8 million votes were cast during the opening round from March 21 – 28.
Round 2 voting is open and fans can make their selections exclusively at www.ESPN.com/MaddenVote to determine which of the 16 finalists/injury candidates advance to the next round.
Chicago voting rules — vote early and often — are in place.
ROUND 1 BREAKDOWN OF MADDEN NFL 12 COVER VOTE CAMPAIGN
* 72% Aaron Rodgers / 28% Ndamukong Suh
* 57% Sam Bradford / 43% Larry Fitzgerald
* 61% Hakeem Nicks / 39% Brian Orakpo
* 62% Danny Woodhead / 38% Steve Johnson
* 66% Maurice Jones-Drew / 34% Dwight Freeney
* 64% Jamaal Charles / 36% Tim Tebow
* 62% Peyton Hillis / 38% Ray Rice
* 89% Matt Ryan / 11% Jordan Gross
* 67% Philip Rivers / 33% Darren McFadden
* 57% Adrian Peterson / 43% Julius Peppers
* 55% Mark Sanchez / 45% Jake Long
* 56% Drew Brees / 44% Josh Freeman
* 76% Michael Vick / 24% DeMarcus Ware
* 69% Andre Johnson / 31% Chris Johnson
* 54% Patrick Willis / 46% 12th Man
* 72% Hines Ward / 28% Carlos Dunlap
–D. Orlando Ledbetter, The Atlanta Falcons beat blog