100813 Atlanta - Falcons head coach Mike Smith, left, and defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder react as the defense stops the Chiefs on a second half drive in the exhibition season opener at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta on Friday, August 13, 2010. Curtis Compton firstname.lastname@example.org
FLOWERY BRANCH – Watching the film of the first exhibition game is a long process for Falcons coach Mike Smith and the rest of the team.
There were a lot of mistakes, missteps and miscues that have to be corrected.
“We have just started to scratch the surface in making the corrections,” Smith said. “We met this morning for about a hour and half with the players and we probably didn’t get through half of the tape. We are going to spend a good part of (Sunday) and possibly into (Monday) making the corrections. The first preseason game, there are a lot of things we have to get corrected and a lot of things we can improve on.”
Here are some of Coach Smith’s impressions after his film review:
100813 Atlanta - Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder gives the thumbs up as the Falcons take the field for the exhibition season opener against the Kansas City Chiefs at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta on Friday, August 13, 2010. Curtis Compton email@example.com
- “I was very impressed that our offense was able to put together a 21-play drive.
- “I thought that our ability to create turnovers was good.
- “We won the field position battle. I think by 27 or 28 yards. Where our average start was and where their average start was. When you win the field position battle it really enhances your opportunity to win.
- “I was not pleased with the two-minute defense. Both of their scores took place on the last drive of the half and the last drive of the game. Those are the things we know that we have to be very, very efficient in. You give up a score before the half in the last two minutes and statistically you usually lose the game. We’ve got to make sure that we tighten that up.
- “When you create two turnover and you sack the quarterback two times, that’s always good.
- “We had the strip fumble as well. When you are on the plus side of the turnover margin, you’re going to enhance your chance to win.”
TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE
Monday, August 16 — Practice 8:30 – 10:40 a.m. (closed to the public); practice 3:45 – 4:40 p.m. (closed to the public).
Tuesday, August 17 — Practice 8:30 – 10:55 a.m. (open to the public); practice 3:45 – 5:35 p.m. (open to the public). COMBINED PRACTICES WITH NEW ENGLAND.
Wednesday, August 18 — Practice 10:15 – 11:35 a.m. (closed to public).
Thursday, August 19 — Preseason Week 2 vs. New England 8 p.m.
Friday, August 20 — No Practice.
Saturday, August 21 — 9:30 a.m. – 11:35 a.m. (closed to the public); 3:45 p.m. – 5:25 p.m. (closed to the public).
Sunday, August 22 — 9:35 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. (closed to the public)
Get instant updates on Twitter at AJCFalcons and you can join the Facebook Fan page at AJC Falcons.