BIRDLAND – The release of quarterback D.J. Shockley last week was likely the team’s last move before the players report for training camp on July 29th.
So here’s a list the Falcons’ top 10 offseason moves:
1. Signing cornerback Dunta Robinson: He will help solidify the secondary. He worked on the left side over the offseason. The Falcons will be tempted to put him on the opposition’s top receiver.
2. Naming Tim Lewis secondary coach: He’s been a defensive coordinator and comes highly recommended. Perhaps the few holdover secondary members will respond to his coaching style.
3. Trading cornerback Chris Houston: He played hard, but could never elevate his game. He conceded too many receptions and wasn’t feisty enough for the position.
4. Drafting linebacker Sean Weatherspoon: Not really sure where he is going to play or how he’s going to help during his rookie campaign, but you know he’s a football player.
5. Signing right guard Harvey Dahl: He is back to help anchor the right side of the line.
6. Re-signing right tackle Tyson Clabo: A victim of the NFL labor situation. He could have been an unrestricted free agent and signed a big-time deal this offseason.
7. Signing Chris Redman to a two-year contract extension: He won a lot of respect in the locker room and in the coaching offices with his gutty 300-yard passing performance against New Orleans last season.
8. Signing punter Michael Koenen: His directional punting and kickoff ability is the key to having top quality special teams units.
9. Signing running back Jason Snelling: He showed what he could do last season.
10. Signing running back Jerious Norwood: While he’s been hurt every season, he has the one thing coaches can’t teach . . . speed.
Here’s a list of all of the moves:
• 25 – Named Tim Lewis secondary coach
• 12 – Did not renew contract of assistant head coach/secondary Emmitt Thomas
• 11 – Signed DL Dan Klecko to a futures contract
• 4 – Signed C Rob Bruggeman, WR James Swinton, QB D.J. Shockley, WR Andy Strickland, C Blake Schlueter, DE Maurice Lucas, RB Antone Smith and G Jose Valdez to reserve/futures contracts
• 1 – Signed P Danny Baugher to the practice squad
• 16 – Named Bill Musgrave assistant head coach/quarterbacks
• 11 – Re-signed WR Brian Finneran
• 8 – Waived DE Maurice Lucas and DB Eric Brock
• 22 – Named Mark Collins defensive assistant
• 16 – Signed S Matt Giordano and released CB Tye Hill
• 15 – Confirmed a revision in Chris Houston trade, changing swap of picks in 2010 NFL Draft to a conditional selection in 2011 NFL Draft
• 9 – Signed CB Brent Grimes to exclusive rights contract and released WR James Swinton
• 8 – Traded CB Chris Houston to the Detroit Lions for a sixth-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft and a swap of fifth-round selections
• 8 – Re-signed LS Joe Zelenka
• 6 – Announced the signing of free agent CB Dunta Robinson
• 5 – Announced a contract extension with QB Chris Redman
• 4 – Announced a contract extension with CB Brian Williams
• 4 – Announced the retirement of LS Mike Schneck
• 29 – Signed undrafted free agents DT Trey Bryant and DE Rajon Henley
• 26 – Announced the signing of undrafted free agents TE Leroy Banks, WR Tim Buckley, S Rafael Bush, CB Dominique Daniels, S Gabe Derricks, LS Justin Drescher, WR Brandyn Harvey, LB Weston Johnson, K Garrett Lindholm, RB Dimitri Nance, TE Michael Palmer, TE Colin Peek, DE Emmanuel Stephens, WR Ryan Wolfe and LB Bear Woods.
• 24 – Announced the re-signing of P Michael Koenen and RB Jerious Norwood and the retirement of TE Jason Rader
• 24 – Drafted S Shann Schillinger in the sixth round of the 2010 NFL Draft
• 24 – Drafted CB Dominique Franks and WR Kerry Meier in the fifth round of the 2010 NFL Draft
• 24 – Drafted OL Joe Hawley in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL Draft
• 23 – Drafted DT Corey Peters and OL Mike Johnson in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft
• 22 – Drafted OLB Sean Weatherspoon in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft
• 15 – Signed G Harvey Dahl, T Tyson Clabo, RB Jason Snelling and OL Quinn Ojinnaka to restricted free agent tenders
• 13 – Released TE Leroy Banks
• 10 – Signed undrafted free agents DB Daylan Walker and QB Eric Ward
• 19 – Signed third round pick Mike Johnson
• 15 – Signed fourth round pick Joe Hawley and fifth round pick Dominique Franks
• 15 – Released cornerback Dominique Daniels, long snapper Justin Drescher, kicker Garrett Lindholm and defensive tackle Trey Bryant.
• 9 – Signed sixth round pick Shann Schillinger
• 9 – Released QB Eric Ward
• 8 – Signed third round pick Corey Peters
• 8 – Hired Steve Sabo as an area scout
• 9 – Released QB D.J. Shockley
• 8 – Announced that the NFL has suspended linebacker Robert James four games for violating the NFL’s performance-enhancing substance policy.