NFL Draft: A look at 5 first round surprises
Falcons head coach Mike Smith and general manager Thomas Dimitroff on Thursday addressing the media after selecting Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon. (D. Orlando Ledbetter/AJC).
FLOWERY BRANCH – Here are the 5 surprises of the first round of the 2010 NFL draft:
- Jacksonville taking California defensive linemen Tyson Alualu with the 10th pick in the draft. He was considered a top 50 pick by Pro Football Weekly.
- Denver trading for Tim Tebow and making the Florida legend the second quarterback selected.
- San Diego was very serious about replacing running back LaDainian Tomlinson and flashed up the draft board to get Fresno State’s Ryan Mathews.
- Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen slipped out of the first round. Guess folks were worrying about his personality and so-called “character” issues.
- Iowa tackle Brian Bulaga was a projected top 10 pick. He lasted all the way to the 23rd pick and was selected by the Green Bay Packers.