10:55 pm June 29, 2012, by David O'Brien
June 30th, 20122:34 pm
The Braves issue is not talent it is the way the talent is used. Bourn should have a lot more stolen bases and so should Heyward. Heyward does not even try to steal anymore despite being on base more and having a high success rate at beginning of season. Fredi should make sure he puts them in position and steal and tell them to go. Not wait for two hits when a steal and one hit will drive them in. Also stays out of the DP. Our young starting pitchers need to produce or go to the minor leagues and we try someone else. Can’t wait so long to let them try to figure out if you want to win now. Never understood the Medlin thing. Livian? why don’t we bring Tom Glavine back instead, or Maddux. McCann and Uggla are Streaky so when they are going poorly drop them to lower in the Batting order. McCann is not going to hit 40 Homeruns so why is he trying to pull the ball so much. Needs to use left field. He was a hitting catcher but has been very inconsistent the last few years. Does not need to be hitting 3rd or 4th until he picks it up again. Some of Fredi’s decison are 20/20 Hindsight but some are mind boggling from the start.
June 30th, 20122:38 pm
This team from Wren down is in serious trouble. Last place here we come as fast as we can. THIS TEAM STINKS.
Enter your comments here
June 30th, 20123:14 pm
wasted scoring chances, slopping fielding … etc, etc. “Slopping fielding”, almost is acceptable considering the subject at hand… THREE errors does Not costitute a Winning Formula, i don’t care What school of Grammar said Sports Writer claims to be associated… THREE ERRORS… what is this A-Ball down in SAVANNAH Somewhere ?????????????… So Help me i BETTER NOT Hear Anybody Criticize Ranfdall Delgado, except for his lettting Detweiler get an RBI Single… The Rest is DEFENSIVE BEAKDOWN.
June 30th, 20123:26 pm
@BrandonLee49 Not A Ball. Little League. Probably could not win there.
June 30th, 20123:29 pm
Braves players around the horn:
Freeman – Solid. Really good defender and good bat. Will be a solid player for years. Status: Keeper
Uggla – Average defender and below average hitter that’ll hit an occasional HR but leaves way to many runners without good at bats. Status: Ship him
Simmons – Top prospect. Can do it all. Status: Keeper
Jones – Great Brave. If he could stay healthy could still play at a high level but he is not going to stay healthy. He starts getting on a role and father time knocks him back. Status: Ride him out and let him finish the year plus he’ll still have his great nmoments just not as often.
McCann – Regressing badly. This time last year I would have said sign him again. Now I’m not sure he is better than Ross day in and day out offensively and he isn’t as good defensively. Like him a lot though because he’s Mac. Wonder if his eyes are more of an issue than we know. Status: I’d call the Yankees. Short porch in right and like I said, I like him. He’ll have a better chance to win there.
Prado – Best ball player we have. Can play multiple positions well. Good hitter. Smart. Gutty player. Status: If the season keeps going the way I’m afraid it is going to there will be teams that would die for Prado. At his age, listen and get a great deal in return.
Bourn – Good defender. Good leadoff guy but strikesout too much. We’ll never sign him next year and not sure we should long term with him being 30. Someone will get burned with this contract that Boras will get him. Status; Get what we can at the trade deadline.
Heyward – Good player and great talent that has dealt with many wanting him to be Hank Aaron at 22 which Aaron wasn’t even able to be at that age. Status: Keeper for sure
June 30th, 20123:31 pm
That was a lot of typing for me. Too blame hot to do anything outside and Wimbledon can’t keep my attention that long.
June 30th, 20123:33 pm
Would that be the same Frank Wren who did the following:
(1) Acquired Michael Bourn at the trade deadline last year WITHOUT giving up any of his premier pitching prospects;
(2) Acquired Uggla, who has only hit more homers in his first seasons in the major leagues than any other second baseman for utility player Omar Infante and Michael Dunn;
(3) Signed Tim Hudson to a discounted 3 year contract rather than keep Javier “Career Year” Vazquez when most everybody and their big brother on here was clamoring for him to do the opposite;
(4) Traded Vazquez for Melky Cabrera and Vizcaino a very promsing prospect who unfortunately is out with TJ surgery this year;
(5) Kept Hanson rather than trading him for Jake Peavy, who is pitching well this year, but was perfecting lousy and often injured the past several seasons;
(6) Stole Jurrjens, who had 3 very good seasons with this team before he injured his knee last year, for an aging Edgar Renteria; and
(7) Has three 22 year olds who are among the best young players in the game in Heyward (rookie of the year runner up in 2010), Freeman (rookie of the year runner up last year to Craig Kimbrel who with Mariano Rivera being injured this season is probably only the best closer in the game) and Simmons who is probably as good a defensive shortstop in the game right now manning 3 of the every day 8 positions on the team instead of them playing for some other teams if he had traded them away during the past several seasons in some of the many boneheaded trades Wren’s detractors have clamored for him to make in the past.
Has Wren made mistakes? Absolutely, everyone makes mistakes (with, of course, the possible exception of his many critics like you 1991 braves who I assume never makes any). However, as the above FACTS illustrate, Wren has also made some very good moves. The core of this team is very young and, unfortunately for those of you with little or no patience, young players make mistakes and have growing pains.
June 30th, 20123:35 pm
I agree. Keep Hanson and Kimbrell. Ship the rest. Be sure and ship FW and FG too.
June 30th, 20123:38 pm
I checked out Aarons first few years and I was wrong. He came out of the gates like a Hall of Famer and never looked back!!!
June 30th, 20123:43 pm
Heyward is young. Right noe too up and down. We will take that. Part of growing pains.
We talk baseball, other sports, music, movies, BBQ and whatever (except politics or religion)
Atlanta Braves RSS feed
Previous entries »
Send a feedback technical issue
Vacation stops, manage subscriptions and more
Visitor Agreement | Privacy Statement© 2013 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution