2:01 pm May 17, 2012, by Carroll Rogers
May 17th, 20127:27 pm
Jumping in here Waffle……what about the power factor, Uggs has more–hit more HR–and his potential is much higher to continue vs. Infante…who, in fact I really miss.
Jerry – both are scratched….really.
May 17th, 20127:28 pm
I don’t know what’s gonna happen with Bourn in the off-season what with Boras being his agent and all. But, I sure hope Bourn wants to be here enough to not allow a bidding war that we can’t win.
May 17th, 20127:29 pm
FF needed to work Nolasco more, instead swings regardless after he got a 2-0 count.
May 17th, 2012
LinkReport this comment
May 17th, 2012
nine-game hitting streak for Marteeen. Or are y’all calling him that anymore?
Joe in SoCal
Are we about to come away with less in the first inning than we should’ve gotten, just like last night?
Same situation for Uggla…..Selfish ABs
May 17th, 20127:30 pm
God da** Uggly!
Well that hurts, Danny boy.
Gonna suck if Prado does not score, that’s on him, though
I see we are back to not being able to get runners in from third again
May 17th, 20127:31 pm
I thought it was just the right eye.
I missed that play, did he have a sure chance to score Bat?
Look at number 7 on my list…….
May 17th, 20127:32 pm
Way to go, guys….
Enter your comments hereOverall the Braves are a good team. They have some holes though heres my list of problems on the team and an Idea of possible solutions.
1. Lack of Starters being able to go 7 innings per start consistantly……. Beachy at the moment is the only pitcher you can count on going 7 but I dont see him going 9 innings. Hudson looks back and is the guy that can go 9. The rest of them its a crap shoot after the 5th inning.
2. Mike Minor has the highest starter ERA in the NL and 3rd highest in all of MLB…….Minor has dominating stuff for the 1st 3 innings but he seems to be figured out when he has to go through the line up the 2nd time around. I personally think he should go back to AAA and when September call-ups come up here have him become a bull-pen pitcher for a potential play-off run.
3. Tyler Pastornicky’s defense……I think him taking extra reps of infield practice is the best thing to do.
4. Brian McCann’s defense…….I personally think he has lost some agility and losing 10-15lbs would help him get some hop in his step.
5. Oventabrel………not being as sharp this year…….I think giving an extended break to EOF and Venters might do them some good, maybe a trip to the DL would give them that rest. This make Kris Medlen that much more valuable
6. Finding another starter…….Minor hasnt gotten the job done with his 7.09 ERA. Jair Jurrjens is no where near ready to come back to Atlanta. So that leaves Julio Teheran to try to come up here and see if he can get the job done here. Todd Redmond has an outside shot to get that call-up…..But if neither can make a difference I think the best option would be to sign Roy Oswalt as opposed to making a huge trade and giving prospects a team like the Phillies for Cole Hamels for example.
7. Fredi Gonzalez……..While he is managing a heck of a lot better this season. He still has questionable decisions and will just sit on his hands and remain emotionless. I personally think he needs to just challange more calls and defend his players more in arguments with the Umpires.
8. The Sporadic selfish ABs by Uggla and McCann….now I’m really reaching out here but Uggla and McCann will sometimes have the case of the Strikeouts especially with runners in scoring position with less than 2 outs. Like tonight we had Prado on 3rd with 1 out and all Uggla needed to do was make contact but he was trying to swing for the fences and went fishing. Also McCann needs to drive the balls opposite way more on that crazy shift.
9.Tipping Caps………lets not utter this phrase even when we do lose…..too many painful memories
10. Losing to NL East teams…….were 3-7 against teams in our division. And if were gonna make the playoffs we need to be atleast .500 in the division. We just have to play with more agressiveness and smarter (Juan Fransisco I’m looking at you your not Rickey Henderson just take the Double). And want to win more the the Nats, Phillies, Mets and Marlins.
Mac the speed demon.
Darn Prado and his hesitation.
Uggla and Mac fail once again. Put Chipper back in the 3 spot and Freeman at clean up.
Dang, ‘teen ‘teen. Brain freeze two nights in a row.
The left eye was actually the worse of the two and was what caused him to miss a game…
I mean number 8 on the List I wrote about the Braves yesterday
Kinda disappointed in that inning. It’ll be okay though as long as Beachy doesn’t melt down like Minor did.
Social Media Reporter
May 17th, 20127:33 pm
Hey fat ass McCann, instead of belting out the F-word everytime you don’t hit a home run, why don’t you run out a ground ball in case, oh I don’t know, the 2B bobbles it?
Marlins are winning this one, folks.
Already turning into another year where we have so much trouble with inner division games.
Misery!!!C’mon man! no excuse for not scorin the second run right there…no outs..runner on third…c’mon really?
Yeah, ground ball to deep first by Freeman and Prado did not go home.
Yes, nolie. Grounder to first. Never broke.
Thanks cab, did not know that.
May 17th, 20127:34 pm
I get really tired of seeing Uggla flail away at first pitch sliders out of the zone in situations where he can bring home a runner from third base with less than two outs. That happens with alarming frequency.
May 17th, 20127:36 pm
Just wear the glasses and quit whining about it…
And get Mac some too.
This ain’t no Mike Minor on the hill people!! Beachy don’t just roll over! Bravos still takin’ this one.
Snitker is the Larry Parrish of third base coaches. He won’t help anything good happen to any runner on third.
Uggla and McCann just try to swing for the fences way too much if Uggla would try to put the ball in play instead of chopping down a Red Wood he could have noticed that all pitchers pitch him low and away breaking stuff every time. And McCann could drop a bunt on that shift and drive the runner in no excuse for not trying to go the other way.
thanx Bat & phil
May 17th, 20127:37 pm
Uggla is 4 for 11 with 3 homers when he flails away and puts the first pitch in play.
Not Simpson’s kid’s eye again!
I’m not a coach-basher but I have never been impressed by Snitker’s decisions either
May 17th, 20127:39 pm
Sure thing, nolie
See below, someone on here AGREES with me.
7. Fredi Gonzalez……..While he is managing a heck of a lot better this season. He still has questionable decisions and will just sit on his hands and remain emotionless. I personally think he needs to just challange more calls and defend his players more in arguments with the Umpires
Get Otis Nixon to be the 3rd base coach…….He probably needs the money after all that cocaine anyways
May 17th, 2012
Snitker is the Larry Parrish of third base coaches. He won’t help anything good happen to any runner on third.
seriously, Ted? That one isn’t on the 3B coach.
If you can’t see that Uggla has made a huge adjustment in terms of cutting down his swing with 2-strikes and getting some big hits with 2-strikes by going to the opposite field, then I don’t know what to tell you.
May 17th, 20127:40 pm
The Braves practiced patience with Jo Jo Reyes and where did that get them.
Minor is such a carbon copy as far as results go, its scary they are wating so much time on this Bumb.
We have had pitching busts in Blaine Boyer, Chuck James, Horacio Ramirez, Kyle Davies, and a few more I cannot think of off the top of the hat.
Maybe our pitching development is not as good as thought out to be, truth be told is that plenty of mistakes have been made since the glory days.
Look at most of those Baby Braves of the middle of the 2000’s, save for Mc Cann, what did they turn out to be?
A pile of BUMBS on top of BUMBS!!!!!
This is a must win tonight and at least its one of the good guys in Beachey who has not disappointed to date.
Must win tonight–go get em boys.
May 17th, 20127:41 pm
Well Lawton he has been 0-2 the last 2 days in driving in runners with less than 2 outs. Striking out twice.
May 17th, 20127:42 pm
“If you can’t see that Uggla has made a huge adjustment in terms of cutting down his swing with 2-strikes and getting some big hits with 2-strikes by going to the opposite field, then I don’t know what to tell you.”
@Lawton–It would be nice to get better results, results is what its all about.
Nice inning Beach! Now lets get it started again! Right back at’em.
May 17th, 20127:43 pm
You can’t be serious that a MLB player waits to hear from his 3B coach on whether or not to run on a ground ball with the infield playing back, conceding the run?
SO, lets use a sample size of 2 at bats.
And, Disgusted, are you saying that Uggla’s results haven’t been good this season?
Juan Francisco is the Jeff George of base running.
It you wanted him to spell the word Dog, you might have to spot him a DO.
May 17th, 20127:44 pm
@J-Man….It does look that way with Uggs many at-bat…hey, the guy like to hit ‘em in the seats and probably knows that skill won’t last forever. But as Lawton has stated, Batting coach Walker has gotten him to variate and try some new stuff….who knows, may turn out great for Uggs.
Jason Heyward hits one ball hard a night.
May 17th, 20127:45 pm
Love watching Beachy swing the bat. He swings hard just in case.
C’mon George…give the man some props…the Rev!!
May 17th, 20127:46 pm
JHey is starting to get on my nerves.
THAT’S who Beachy looks like.
May 17th, 20127:47 pm
good job clearing the pitcher, Rev
Heyward is a hall of famer….
May 17th, 20127:48 pm
cleared the pitcher, thats a good thing
Fat ass West. Fat, miserable lard is a horrible ump.
Phil. Was listening to game on radio so not sure on that one, but statement is still true. Maybe I was being unfair to Parrish.
Beachy with a pathetic AB?…
Get him outta there!
May 17th, 20127:49 pm
Nice at bat for the Beach Boy! 7 pitches.full count. Pay attention bravos.
Lawton–Uggla has had his good and bad monents, and I do expect more consistency as we get into mid season.
The bottom line is he did not have a good night last night in a series where the Braves really need one of the two, if the Braves win tonight, what happened last night is forgotten though serious concerns about Minor.
Okay, give him another couple of starts, but if he fizzles in the next two, what do you do. Cannot keep him out there. And I am not necessarily talking about wins and two hit shutout ball, just go 6 plus and give the team a chancence to win for a change like he did very early in the yr.
I do trust that Uggla will get into a stretch where he will carry the team for a few weeks, he always does.
Ric Flair to Right
HeyBust is slowly but surely making himself a AAAA player!!!!
May 17th, 20127:50 pm
Who leads all NL 2Bman in runs scored? Uggla. Who leads all NL 2Bman in RBI? Uggla. But I guess scoring and driving in runs isn’t all that important???
I don’t want to give up on Jey Hey but bottm line is that the results have to be better.
It wasn’t BS this time, Ted….
But yeah, he’s not the best.
sure the guy won two games in a row and has a 115 OPS+, I can see why that would get on your nerves….
Its just Selfish ABs by Uggla in these 2 past situations he went there swinging wildly at everything when if he would have not swung on the 1st pitch which is always a low and away breaking ball that he swing over the top off. He would have had a different AB by making the Pitcher throw him a strike.
Prado was out with Infante last night at “Latino Latina’s” club in downtown Atlanta is the reason for his brain far*. Martin had to be Omar’s translator for the American honey’s at the club.
May 17th, 20127:52 pm
Minor is another story. Tough call there. I can understand the decision to leave him in there at the moment. But, I can understand an argument to make a change too.
Lawton Scoring and driving in runs with less that 2 out should be damn near automatic. No excuse for that. I like uggla but I’m gonna call him out for that everytime. especially when he does it 2 days in a row.
HeyBust reminds me of a lighter skinned Jordan Schafer
May 17th, 20127:53 pm
Mike Minor is dominant the 1st 3 innings he just gets lit up the 2nd time through the lineup
Scoring and driving in runs with less that 2 out should be damn near automatic…J-Man
Rev pulling a Melky
May 17th, 20127:54 pm
Pastornicky Defense is just god awful.
Good throw by Freeman and even better one by Pastornicky.
Lawton–You know something you are right on Uggla, I took a look at the updated stats and the AVG and OBP and RC are excellent, better than I thought.
So you are right on that one, and wait until he gets real hot and gets into his zone. He will have real outstanding stats at yrs end.
Pastornicky plays some odd defense.
Agree with you Largo. Snitker is there to take the batting gloves if someone hits a triple. I don’t think the players pay any attention to him at any time.
Looks like a made a crummy move–the ole Rev did.
May 17th, 20127:55 pm
That’s the first 90 foot throw I’ve ever seen miss by over a 100 feet.
Nolie you know I meant Scoring and driving in a runner on 3rd with less than 2 out should be damn near automatic……..Dont be a tool your better than that
Rev does things at short that i swear to you, i’ve never seen even the worst of SS EVER do in the last 35 years.
Is he really this stupid?
The good has outweighed the bad by a lot, but the bad is just highlight reel awful…
Shades of Melky Cabrera! Might as well get used to seeing things like that from Pastornicky. The worst shortstop we’ve had in years.
Uggla with Runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs:
13 PA’s, 2 BB’s 10 RBI
that’s pretty darn good.
Flair, if you’re going to repeat yourself then at least get it right.
May 17th, 20127:56 pm
Snitker does in fact appear to have the authority of a ‘Camp Counselor.’
you need to look at team stats over the years b4 you claim anything should be automatic, or call anyone a tool
May 17th, 20127:57 pm
Facts, people. Facts. Everything you guys dis about Uggla is completely refuted by facts.
see Lawton’s 7:55 J-Man as a start
Nick: I have Dish…the game is on Ch. 437 Sports South.
We talk baseball, other sports, music, movies, BBQ and whatever (except politics or religion)
Atlanta Braves RSS feed
Previous entries »
Send a feedback technical issue
Vacation stops, manage subscriptions and more
Visitor Agreement | Privacy Statement© 2013 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution