Series preview: vs Mets
When (TV): 7:35 p.m. Friday (SPSO); 4:11 p.m. Saturday (FOX); 1:35 p.m. Sunday (FSSO).
Radio: 680, 93.7, 100.5
Probable starting pitchers:
Friday: Braves RH Derek Lowe (9-14, 4.70 ERA) vs. LH Chris Capuano (10-12, 4.49)
Saturday: Braves RH Tim Hudson (14-10, 3.32) vs. RH R.A. Dickey (8-12, 3.43)
Sunday: Braves RH Brandon Beachy (7-2, 3.43 ERA) vs. RH Dillon Gee (12-6, 4.42)
About the Braves:
• Batting: Since returning from three games out to rest a sore lower back, Alex Gonzalez has hit 8-for-11 with three doubles and five RBIs. His three-run homer Wednesday was the game-winner against the Marlins. Brian McCann hit a three-run homer Tuesday on a 2-for-4 night to rebound from 1-for-6, with two strikeouts with RISP on Monday. Chipper Jones is hitting .289 against the Mets this season, with four homers and 13 RBIs, his most against any team.
• Pitching: The Braves have won both of Lowe’s starts against the Mets this season, while he’s gone 1-0 with a 3.75 ERA in two quality starts. He hasn’t faced them since June 3, when he allowed three runs in six innings. Lowe pitched well in three starts in the late August (three earned runs in 18 innings), but he’s lost his last two starts to the Phillies and Cardinals while allowing 11 runs (nine earned) in 11 innings.
• Miscellaneous: The Braves swept a doubleheader from the Mets in New York in two make-up games from Hurricane Irene. Leading into the hurricane delay, the Braves had won 14 of 19. Since then they’ve won only seven of 17.
About the Mets:
• Batting: The Mets have scored only 2.5 runs per game over a six-game losing streak, including one run in their past two losses to the Nats. Shortstop Jose Reyes is hitting .300 since his return from a second DL stint on Aug. 29 but he concedes his hamstring is still balky. He’s 7-for-27 (.259) in the past two series. Justin Turner is hitting .385 in September, including 3-for-9 in that doubleheader against Braves.
• Pitching: Capuano pitched one of his best games the last time he faced the Braves on Aug. 26, the night before Hurricane Irene postponed the last two games of that series. He threw a two-hit complete game shutout in a 6-0 win, with a career-high 13 strikeouts. It was his best start since coming back from a second ligament-transplant surgery in 2008. Outside of that night, Capuano is 1-5 with a 5.57 ERA in 11 starts since July 9.
• Miscellaneous: The Mets, losers of 10 of their past 14, were eliminated from postseason play when the Braves beat the Marlins Wednesday. Third baseman David Wright has committed nine errors in his past 11 games.