Series preview: Braves at Mets
When (TV): 7:10 p.m. Friday (SPSO), 4:10 p.m. Saturday (Fox), 1:10 p.m. Sunday (FSSO)
Radio: 680, 93.7, 100.5
Probable starting pitchers:
Friday: Braves RH Tim Hudson (13-7, 3.01 ERA) vs. LH Chris Capuano (9-11, 4.71)
Saturday: Braves RH Jair Jurrjens (13-5, 2.71) vs. RH R.A. Dickey (5-11, 3.72)
Sunday: Braves LH Mike Minor (4-2, 4.37) vs. Dillon Gee (11-5, 4.37).
About the Braves:
• Batting: Chipper Jones is 21-for-50 (.420) with a .720 slugging percentage in his past 14 games, and has four homers and nine RBIs in his past 11. Against the Mets, he’s hit .326 with five homers and 13 RBIs in his past 13 games, including three homers and 10 RBIs in 10 games this season…. David Ross is 2-for-7 with a homer against Capuano.… Jason Heyward is 5-for-27 (.185) in nine games at Citi Field, but two of the hits were homers. He also has five walks at the ballpark.
• Pitching: Hudson is 8-2 with a 2.03 ERA and .204 opponents’ average in his past 13 starts, including 4-0 with a 1.49 ERA in his past five. He pitched seven scoreless innings of three-hit ball in Sunday’s win against Arizona. The veteran is 6-3 with a 2.89 ERA in his past nine starts vs. the Mets, and 4-1 with a 2.90 ER in five at Citi Field…. Scott Linebrink has a 4.05 ERA and.358 opp. average in 17 relief appearances in July and August, allowing 19 hits, two homers and eight walks in 13-1/3 innings.
• Miscellaneous: Michael Bourn matched a career best with four hits Thursday. It was the sixth time he’d done it, third this season, and first since being traded to the Braves…. Brian McCann had two homers and four RBIs Thursday, his third multi-homer game this season and second four-RBI game this season. His career high is five RBIs… While Ross has had success against Capuano, several Braves have not. Dan Uggla is 2-for-11 with seven strikeouts against him, Bourn is 2-for-11 and Chipper Jones is 1-for-8.
About the Mets:
• Batting: Lucas Duda has hit .283 with seven homers and 23 RBIs in his past 30 games, including .322 with four homers, 14 RBIs and a .394 OBP in his past 16 games…. After his recent hot streak, David Wright has cooled, batting .208 (11-for-53) with two homers and six RBIs in his past 14 games…. Against Hudson, Angel Pagan is 9-for-20 with a homer and Jason Bay is 7-for-20 with a homer and five walks.
• Pitching: Capuano is 1-4 with a 5.73 ERA in his past eight starts. He’s 2-3 with a 3.35 ERA in eight games (six starts) against the Braves, but has faced them just once in four seasons, in a one-out relief appearance in April…. The Mets have a league-worst 5.02 ERA since the All-Star break.
• Miscellaneous: Jose Reyes (hamstring) is on the DL and hasn’t played since getting hurt at Atlanta on Aug. 7. The speedy shortstop was a Braves nemesis before the injury, batting .354 with three doubles, three triples, eight RBIs and seven stolen bases in 12 games against them this season…. The Mets are 3-11 with a .238 batting average and 5.73 ERA in their past 14 games. They’ve given up six or more runs in eight of those games, including nine or more runs in four.
– DAVID O’BRIEN