Series preview: at Pirates
When (TV): 7:05 p.m. Tuesday (SPSO); 12:35 p.m. Wednesday (SPSO)
Radio: 680, 93.7, 100.5
Probable starting pitchers:
Tuesday: Braves RH Jair Jurrjens (5-1, 1.80 ERA) vs. RH Charlie Morton (5-1, 2.62)
Wednesday: Braves LH Mike Minor (3-3, 3.71) vs. RH James McDonald (3-3, 5.51)
About the Braves:
• Batting: Joe Mather went 7-for- 12 (.583) with a home run and five RBIs in the three-game series against the Angels, including a three-run homer and game-winning double in the 12th inning Saturday. That day he became the first Braves No. 9 hitter to collect four hits and four RBIs since pitcher Lew Burdette did for the Milwaukee Braves in 1959. Freddie Freeman has had multi-hit games in three of his past four, including back-to-back two-hit games vs. his hometown Angels.
• Pitching: Jurrjens is coming off his first loss in seven starts this season after allowing two runs in 6 2/3 innings in a 2-1 loss in Arizona. Jurrjens has allowed two or fewer runs in each of his seven starts in no fewer than 6 1/3 innings….Tim Hudson was scheduled to start Wednesday but will skip it with back stiffness. Minor will be recalled from Triple-A for his second major league start in 2011. He gave up five earned runs in 4 1/3 innings in an April 6 loss in Milwaukee.
• Miscellaneous: The Braves put former Pirate Nate McLouth on the disabled list Monday with a strained left oblique, one day after putting right fielder Jason Heyward on the DL with shoulder soreness. Chipper Jones is expected back in the lineup Tuesday after two days to rest his sore hamstring.
About the Pirates:
• Batting: Center fielder Andrew McCutchen is 12-for-31 (.387) in the past eight games, with three doubles, two triples a home run and five RBIs. Shortstop Ronny Cedeno is hitting .333 (20-for-60) with 10 runs scored in 19 games in May. Ryan Doumit has the most at-bats of any Pirate against Jurrjens, going 3-for-8.
• Pitching: Morton, the former Brave, is having a renaissance season after having the worst record (2-12) and ERA (7.57) among qualified starters last season. He’s already matched his career high in wins with five. He’s 2-0 with a 1.64 ERA in his past three starts, including a complete game victory over the Reds. All-Star reliever Evan Meek was activated from the DL after missing a month with a viral illness and calf problems.
• Miscellaneous: Third baseman Pedro Alvarez is on the DL with a quadriceps strain…The Pirates took two of three from the Braves at PNC Park last September but went 3-6 in the season series.