Series preview: Braves at Padres
When (TV): 10:05 p.m. Monday-Tuesday (SPSO), 3:35 p.m. Wednesday (SPSO).
Radio: 680, 93.7, 100.5
Probable starting pitchers:
Monday: Braves RH Derek Lowe (2-3, 3.25 ERA) vs. RH Dustin Moseley (0-3, 1.40)
Tuesday: Braves RH Jair Jurrjens (1-0, 0.69) vs. RH Aaron Harang (4-0, 1.88)
Wednesday: Braves RH Tommy Hanson (2-3, 3.21) vs. RH Mat Latos (0-3, 5.94)
About the Braves:
• Batting: Brian McCann has hit.404 (21-for-52) with five doubles, four homers and 20 RBI in 16 games at Petco Park, where he has a .500 on-base percentage and .731 slugging percentage… Jason Heyward is 10-for-24 (.417) with four doubles and seven RBI six games against the Padres… Chipper Jones has hit .346 with six homers and a 1.025 OPS in 22 games at Petco Park.
• Pitching: Lowe is 5-3 with a 2.75 ERA in 15 starts vs. the Padres and 2-0 with a 1.40 ERA in his past three, but last faced them in 2008. He went 7-2 with a 1.46 ERA in a nine-start stretch dating to September before giving up five runs and nine hits in three innings in Wednesday’s loss against the Dodgers…. Jair Jurrjens gave up eight runs and eight hits in 3-1/3 innings in his only start at Petco Park.
• Miscellaneous: All of McCann’s team-high 18 hits on the road have been singles, including a 10th-ining RBI hit in Sunday’s win…. Alex Gonzalez (0-for-1) is the only current Brave who’s faced Moseley…. Three of Dan Uggla’s five homers have come in the seventh inning or later, including Sunday’s 8th-inning leadoff homer that tied the game.
About the Padres:
• Batting: Will Venable has hit .325 with five homers and a .775 slugging percentage in 11 games against the Braves… Orlando Hudson is a .340 hitter with a .938 OPS in 27 games against the Braves…. Brad Hawpe, formerly of the Colorado Rockies, has hit .284 with seven homers, 22 RBI and a .984 OPS in 36 games against the Braves.
• Pitching: Moseley has allowed two earned runs or fewer and pitched six innings or more in all four starts this season, including one or no runs allowed in three. But the padres have scored zero runs while he’s been in any game, hence his 1.40 ERA and 0-3 record. The former American Leaguer hasn’t faced the Braves… Harang has also been a victim of terrible run support while pitching at least six innings and allowing two earned runs or fewer in every start.
• Miscellaneous: The Padres entered Sunday as the worst hitting and lowest-scoring team in the NL (.214 batting average), while their pitchers had a league-leading 2.94 ERA. Before Sunday, their starters had a 5-8 record despite a league-leading 3.11 ERA…. The Padres’ .203 home batting average and four home runs at home were the second-lowest in the NL before Sunday, ahead of only the Pittsburgh Pirates in each category.
– David O’Brien