World Series set for earlier starts

Continuing a trend of returning to earlier start times, the World Series schedule released Thursday features the earliest start time for a game since Game 6 in 1987: Game 3 will have a first pitch at 6:57 p.m., one hour earlier than last year’s start time for the Saturday game.

The series, set for FOX, will have 7:57 p.m. starts for Games 1, 2 as well as Games 5, 6 and 7 if needed. Only Sunday Oct. 31 will have a late start with the first pitch set for 8:20 p.m.

“The changes we made with FOX last year to start the World Series games earlier helped increase viewership including more young fans and we are optimistic that the earlier start time for Saturday’s Game 3 will keep us moving in the same direction,” Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig said.

“We’ve said over the years that if advertisers were willing to support earlier starts at prime-time levels, we’d be able to begin games earlier,” said FOX Sports president Eric Shanks, noting that Chevrolet has stepped up support as a key sponsor.

When the NL won the All-Star Game in July on Brian McCann’s two-out, bases-clearing double in the seventh inning, it gave the NL representative home-field advantage for the first time since 2001. The 2002 All-Star Game ended in a tie and Major League Baseball then decided to award the Series home-field advantage to the league that won the All-Star Game. The AL had the home field on an alternating basis in 2002 and has held it since because it has won the All-Star Game each summer till the Braves’ catcher delivered in July.

WORLD SERIES SCHEDULE

Date                           Game              League of Home Team       First Pitch/Pre-Game on FOX (ET)

Weds., Oct. 27         Game 1         National League                            7:57p.m./7:30 p.m.

Thurs., Oct. 28        Game 2         National League                           7:57 p.m./7:30 p.m.

Sat., Oct. 30            Game 3         American League                          6:57 p.m./6:30 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 31           Game 4         American League                          8:20 p.m./8:00 p.m.

Mon., Nov. 1           Game 5         American League                          7:57 p.m./7:30 p.m.

Weds., Nov. 3          Game 6         National League                           7:57 p.m./7:30 p.m.

Thurs., Nov. 4         Game 7         National League                           7:57 p.m./7:30 p.m.

Peter

September 30th, 2010

How nice of Bud. Now Future Fans with an 8:00 bedtime can watch a whole hour of the game. One game. Their giving spirit knows no bounds.

Keith

Re: Peter

Haha! You’re funny. But at least it’s a start. Big changes are made with small step usually, not drastic one.

Kudos to Bud.

Keith

September 30th, 2010

*small steps usually, not drastic ones.*

Innocent Bystander

September 30th, 2010

Not even. Don’t forget about the thirty minutes of “previews” aka commercial breaks and dedications to this and that. There’s no way those are the game times of first pitch.

hdhd

September 30th, 2010

They should just play the games at like 3pm or something. Then people can DVR it, skip the commercial, watch when they want, and not be a zombie the next day at work.

With an 8:20 start, plus the longer inning breaks (more $$$ for FOX) and inevitably a lot of pitching changes these games have little chance of finishing before midnight.

I feel like starting one game early is just asking people to miss the first hour. So confusing. Just choose a time and stick with it.

Reid in EAV

September 30th, 2010

Well, my 7-year-old has a 8 pm bedtime, so yep, I guess she’ll only get a little taste. Forgive me if I forgo the ticker-tape parade.

So we had day games in 1991 (remember the 14-5 Braves shellacking of the Twins?) and yet this is considered “progress.” Yippee. Thanks a lot, Bud. Go play in traffic, you dotty old man.

DTC

September 30th, 2010

When I was growing up, I remember times when school would be dismissed to the auditorium to watch the World Series, because they were played in the afternoon, usually 2:00 starts, not at night time, under the lights. By the way, I am 55, with a very good memory.

Jacob

September 30th, 2010

Game 5 in ‘91 was not a day game. I was there and had to get up for school the next morning.

Tech Rules

September 30th, 2010

Great. The earliest starting game is on the one night that’s not a school night. Sunday night is a much more logical time to do this. But instead Fox gave preference to a NFL regular season game over a World Series game. To quote Bugs, “What a bunch of maroons”.

Reid in EAV

September 30th, 2010

OK, I guess that was the wrong game, but there WAS a day game in that ‘91 series, yes?

Troy McClure

September 30th, 2010

Keith is right…..it’s a start. Bud is not an idiot. He knows that fans are increasingly disenchanted with America’s Pastime. Now just get rid of that DH and we’ll really be cookin’!

erm016

September 30th, 2010

My god you people complain about everything. Baseball is a business, of course they’re going to do what’s best for revenues.

DCBrave33

September 30th, 2010

No, last day WS game was game 3 in 1987.

DCBrave33

September 30th, 2010

This is a good start, and Bud is on record as saying that he wants at least 1 day WS game. Remember though, the schedule has to work for the west coast too. Can’t schedule Game 3 as a 1 pm start if it happens to be played out west. Let’s hope our rag-tag Braves are there so we all might actually care what time to tune in!

Reid in EAV

September 30th, 2010

“Doing what’s best for revenues.” Yes, SHORT TERM revenues. By starting WS games past the bedtimes of most kids in the eastern and central time zones (home of the vast majority of US population) you fail to capture the imaginations of the next generation and so mortgage your own future.

But at least your advertisers are happy. For now.

Felix Millan

September 30th, 2010

every little bit helps. I get up at 3:45am, and the late finishes make for a grumpy Felix.

bruce mac

September 30th, 2010

Why is the listed under Braves heading? The way I figure Phils win two out of three. Giants win the first of 3 and then pull all of their starters for the remaining 2 games since they have clinched. Padres and Braves in one game playoff.

awwwww

September 30th, 2010

Awwww shucky-poo! The games start at a perfect time for ME! I don’t care about other people..only myself. I would say come Hawaii, but Hawaii doesn’t need more people. Come visit but no forget fo’ go home!

Felix Millan

September 30th, 2010

I long for the old days of sitting Ms. Inhulsen’s 8th grade English class listening to Orioles/ Pirates on a transitor with an earplug (just 1).

baseball fan

September 30th, 2010

The fall classic should start around 4-5pm in the East. The sun angles and shadows would remind everyone about how the game used to be played.

Felix Millan

September 30th, 2010

I’m with you, baseball fan

Andy

September 30th, 2010

I like late games and I don’t care about the rest of you.

See? I’m just as ignorant as you guys, I’m just honest.

ADAM

September 30th, 2010

well this is a start, more than stern will do for nba finals
starting after 9pm eastern time, which is way to later for
me to stay up for.

Ed Zachary

September 30th, 2010

I hope games 3 – 5 are played in Minneapolis!!! It’ll be fun watching them shovel snow off the basepaths…

Dawg Fud

Great…less Joe Buck time

Dawg Fud

September 30th, 2010

and can we please start the world series around October 12-15.

eventually we are going to have to start calling Reggie Jackson “Mr. November”

David O'Brien

September 30th, 2010

Dawg Fud: only way World Series could start that early would be if they shortened the season and played a lot of doubleheaders.

Not going to happen. Best we can hope for is to keep it out of November.

erm016

September 30th, 2010

Let your kids stay up once or twice, it’s not going to kill them. Some of the best memories are getting to stay up late and watch the world series in ‘91/’92 with my cousin and parents.

Seriously. It won’t kill them.

erm016

September 30th, 2010

Is the World Series or NBA Finals supposed to work around sleep schedules? Come on. Be serious with yourself. Hell I don’t go to bed until 12-1am, so this works perfect for me.

Thanks MLB. See, goes both ways.

Rafael Ramirez

September 30th, 2010

Didn’t you know that the season was moved up in 2011 to start on a Thursday? This will ensure World Series ends in October.

Is this Bobby Cox writing the article? It says by “rcox”.

Piedmont Blues

September 30th, 2010

The weekend games should start at 3:30 or 4 p.m. The first pitch on weeknight games should be no later than 7:15. The games are lasting four hours anyway …

The NFL gets a lot of things right, and one of them is having the Super Bowl kick off around 6.

Eugene

September 30th, 2010

Games shouldn’t be played in November. The season should have 150 games and the season would end in mid-October.

LAX to ATL

September 30th, 2010

I remember listening to the Dodgers play the A’s, in 1988 during high school. That had to be a businessman’s special. Most likely I’m mistaken though.

Have to agree about the late start times, my kids hate it. I understand the weekday game being late, but let the Sat. game be a 1 PST/3 EST start at least!

Philsfan

September 30th, 2010

So the Phillies/Yankees game 3 will be earlier. Nice.

Mike

September 30th, 2010

Game 4 is Halloween. My kids will be sugared all the way through extra innings, plus I can get Trick-or-Treating in before the first pitch. Try to put a cloud on that silver lining.

benchwarmer

September 30th, 2010

Baseball owners can’t let go of a single dollar even for the health of the game. Having lost a whole generation of fans already they won’t adjust to insure the popularity of the game in the future. I know from personal experience that if they start the games earlier they will not lose audience just advertising dollars.

PH

October 1st, 2010

yeah that is pretty dumb that the only game that is not on a school night is earlier. Shouldn’t it be the other way around and that game is the late game and the others are earlier? Eh who am I though, not like I owned a dynasty like the Brewers

P Rose

October 1st, 2010

Well what do you expect? Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in America is for the kids now — that is, the kids between the ages of 18 and 35 — the ones who buy Bud Light and new Fords. No one else matters anymore, ESPECIALLY children. I’m 52, and I remember seeing Bob Gibson of the Cardinals pitch against the Tigers in the 1968 World Series on a black and white rollaway portable TV in Mrs. Rawlins’ third grade class. That was when some things other than MONEY mattered in this country. But the little guys aren’t important enough now to be considered because they don’t matter. They can’t buy Bud Light or new Fords; therefore, they can’t help pay A-Rod’s and Joe Buck’s RIDICULOUS salaries. This is why we suck.

Ray Parker Jr.