9:30 am December 27, 2012, by Nedra Rhone
Looking for a cheap champagne to ring in the New Year?
Maybe you shouldn’t bother.
If you want to save some cash, but still have a great-tasting toast, try the many sparkling wines that prove worthy alternatives to champagne. (Also consider grower-producer Champagne, says AJC wine guru Gil Kulers.)
The following three sparkling wines are among the highest rated for taste and price:
Gruet Blanc De Noirs, $16 – A sparkling wine for New Mexico with a blend of fruity flavors.
Gloria Ferrer Blanc De Noirs, $22 – This smooth sparkling wine hails from California and features lots of ripe fruit flavors.
Freixenet Cordon Negro Extra Dry, $12: From Spain, Cordon Negro Extra Dry was introduced in 1990 to meet demand for a premium sparkling wine that was a bit sweeter than Brut. It is a much loved light, simple cava.
What is filling your glass this New Year’s Eve?
– Nedra Rhone, for the Atlanta Bargain Hunter blog
• Monday: Wes Moss, host of WSB's 'Money Matters'
• Tuesday: Weekly focus on trends, ID theft & more
• Wednesday: Jessica Shops' Deals, Steals & Trends
• Thursday: Clark Howard, Atlanta's consumer expert
• Friday: Coupon Mom's Ways to Save on Groceries
Follow Bargain Hunter: Twitter | Facebook | Email
• The Atlanta 50: What to See and Do, our inside scoop on Atlanta’s vibrant cultural and leisure scene, including tips on parking, where you should go and best times to avoid big crowds. Order e-book guide today.
• The Atlanta 50: Where to eat, John Kessler's e-book and print guide to 50 of the top area restaurants.
Vacation stops, manage subscriptions and more