1:45 pm April 5, 2012, by Lauren Davidson
Here’s a great opportunity for you parents who like to sneak in a dose of history with your kids’ entertainment.
On April 12, the Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History in Kennesaw will celebrate the sesquicentennial of the Great Locomotive Chase, one of the Civil War’s most thrilling episodes. In honor of the 150th anniversary, the museum will be open from 9:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. on April 12 for free (reg. $7.50 for adults, $5.50 kids).
Also that day, the Waggoner family of Ohio, descendants of Sergeant John M. Scott, will donate the medal Scott was posthumously awarded for his participation in the Great Locomotive Chase.
Your kids will love the trains, and you’ll love the history lessons they’ll learn.
– By Lauren Davidson, Atlanta Bargain Hunter
• Monday: Wes Moss, host of WSB's 'Money Matters'
• Tuesday: Weekly focus on trends, ID theft & more
• Wednesday: Jessica Shops' Deals, Steals & Trends
• Thursday: Clark Howard, Atlanta's consumer expert
• Friday: Coupon Mom's Ways to Save on Groceries
Follow Bargain Hunter: Twitter | Facebook | Email
• The Atlanta 50: What to See and Do, our inside scoop on Atlanta’s vibrant cultural and leisure scene, including tips on parking, where you should go and best times to avoid big crowds. Order e-book guide today.
• The Atlanta 50: Where to eat, John Kessler's e-book and print guide to 50 of the top area restaurants.
Vacation stops, manage subscriptions and more