4:00 pm September 19, 2011, by Lauren Davidson
If you don’t associate McDonald’s with a healthy serving of fruit, the fast-food restaurant is bribing you to change your mind.
The international chain is using Atlanta as a test market for its brand-new Happy Meal, which features apple slices and a smaller-sized fry in every box. This week local McDonald’s restaurants will host a “Happy Meal Happy Hour” from 2-7 p.m. each day through Thursday, featuring a buy one, get one free deal on all Happy Meals and Mighty Kids Meals.
The new Happy Meal includes a choice of chicken McNuggets, a hamburger or cheeseburger; a choice of beverage including fat-free chocolate milk, 1 percent white milk, apple juice or soda; apple slices and a smaller serving of french fries. You can also request another bag of apples instead of the fries.
The new Happy Meal ranges from 410 to 550 calories (this estimate assumes you order one of the milk options and don’t sub out the fries for another serving of apples).
McDonald’s has been offering apples as a requested Happy Meal choice since 2004, and while recent research found that 88 percent of McDonald’s customers are aware of the option, only 11 percent choose apples.
– By Lauren Davidson, Atlanta Bargain Hunter
• Monday: Wes Moss, host of WSB's 'Money Matters'
• Tuesday: Weekly focus on trends, ID theft & more
• Wednesday: Jessica Shops' Deals, Steals & Trends
• Thursday: Clark Howard, Atlanta's consumer expert
• Friday: Coupon Mom's Ways to Save on Groceries
Follow Bargain Hunter: Twitter | Facebook | Email
• The Atlanta 50: What to See and Do, our inside scoop on Atlanta’s vibrant cultural and leisure scene, including tips on parking, where you should go and best times to avoid big crowds. Order e-book guide today.
• The Atlanta 50: Where to eat, John Kessler's e-book and print guide to 50 of the top area restaurants.
Vacation stops, manage subscriptions and more