1:25 pm August 29, 2011, by Lauren Davidson
It probably won’t come as a surprise to metro Atlantans: Facebook is ending its “deals” program.
The daily-deal type offerings promoted spas, horseback riding trips and the typical restaurant discounts — many times for large groups of people — through the current Facebook platform.
Although Facebook hasn’t announced a reason for dumping “deals,” speculation includes consumer deal fatigue. When I wrote a column on Facebook in May, I had trouble finding anyone who’d actually bought a Facebook deal here in Atlanta, one of the five test markets.
According to media sources, the demise of “deals” won’t affect Facebook’s location-based “check-in deals.”
What’s your go-to daily deal source? Are there any underdogs you think offer better discounts?
– By Lauren Davidson, Atlanta Bargain Hunter
• Monday: Wes Moss, host of WSB's 'Money Matters'
• Tuesday: Weekly focus on trends, ID theft & more
• Wednesday: Jessica Shops' Deals, Steals & Trends
• Thursday: Clark Howard, Atlanta's consumer expert
• Friday: Coupon Mom's Ways to Save on Groceries
Follow Bargain Hunter: Twitter | Facebook | Email
• The Atlanta 50: What to See and Do, our inside scoop on Atlanta’s vibrant cultural and leisure scene, including tips on parking, where you should go and best times to avoid big crowds. Order e-book guide today.
• The Atlanta 50: Where to eat, John Kessler's e-book and print guide to 50 of the top area restaurants.
Vacation stops, manage subscriptions and more