Center for Puppetry Arts plans busy 2014-15 season during expansion
Boston puppeteer Bonnie Duncan brings the children’s show “Squirrel Stole My Underpants” to the Center for Puppetry Arts, May 27-June 8. The show launches the puppetry center’s 2014-15 family series. CONTRIBUTED BY LIZ LINDER PHOTOGRAPHY
BY HOWARD POUSNER / AJC
Even as it undergoes a major expansion to accommodate a museum focused on Jim Henson and international puppetry, the Center for Puppetry Arts will be kicking up more dust with a busy 2014-15 season lineup.
Two international troupes will perform as part of the center’s expansive family series, Periferia Teatro de Titeres of Spain and Nova Scotia’s Mermaid Theatre. The Midtown attraction also will mount a Theatre for the Very Young world premiere, Amy Sweeney’s “Shake a Tale Feather with Mother Goose.”
A highlight of the New Directions Series for adults and teens will be “Anne Frank: Within and Without,” presented in cooperation with the Georgia Commission on the Holocaust.
The schedule …
- May 27-June 8: “Squirrel Stole My Underpants” by Bonnie Duncan of Boston.
- June 12-July 20: “Dr. Seuss’s the Cat in the Hat,” an encore of the popular 2013-14 production, directed by Jon Ludwig and based on the National Theatre of Great Britain’s adaption by playwright Katie Mitchell.
- July 22-Aug. 3: “Guyi-Guyi: The Other Ugly Duckling” by Periferia Teatro de Titeres of Murcia, Spain.
- Aug. 5-17, 2014: “The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Other Eric Carle Favorites” by Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Aug. 21-Sept. 21: “Shake a Tale Feather With Mother Goose.” adapted and directed by Amy Sweeney.
- Sept. 24-Oct. 5: “The Old Man and the Monkeys & Other Chinese Tales” by Dragon Art Studio of Portland, Ore.
- Oct. 8-26: “The Wizard of Oz” by Frisch Marionettes of Cincinnati.
- Oct. 28-Nov. 9: “The Headless Horseman of Sleepy Silly Hollow” by Frogtown Mountain Puppeteers of Bar Harbor, Maine.
- Nov. 13-Dec. 28: “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” adapted, directed by Ludwig.
- Dec. 30-Jan. 11, 2015: “The Stinky Cheese Man” by Paul Mesner Puppets of Kansas City, Mo., based on the book by Jon Scieszka.
- Jan. 14-25, 2015: “The Big Bad, Little Red, Pig Show” by Atlanta’s Lee Bryan, That Puppet Guy.
- Jan. 29-March 15, 2015: “Rainforest Adventures,” written by Ludwig, Stephanie Kaskel Bogle and Raylynn Hughes, directed by Ludwig.
- March 17-22, 2015: “The Joshua Show” by Joshua Holden of New York.
- March 24-April 4, 2015: “Stellaluna” by Tears of Joy Theatre of Portland, Ore., based on the book by Janell Cannon.
- April 9-May 24, 2015: “Paul Bunyan and the Tall Tale Medicine Show,” adapted by Ludwig.
New Directions series for adults, teens
- Aug. 28-30: National Puppet Slam (ages 18 and up).
- Feb. 18-March 8, 2015: “Anne Frank: Within and Without,” adapted by Bobby Box and directed by Mira Hirsch (ages 12 and up).
- March 20-22, 2015: “D-Generation: An Exaltation of Larks” (ages 12 and up) by Sandglass Theater of Putney, Vt.
- May 14-17, 2015: Experimental Puppetry Theater (XPT) (ages 18 and up).
1404 Spring St. N.W., Atlanta. Tickets, information: 404-873-3391, www.puppet.org.