By Howard Pousner
Theater of the Stars, which is amid an emergency $1 million fund-raising campaign, has canceled “Dreamgirls,” which was to have run Aug. 2-11 at the Fox Theatre.
The musical starring Broadway veteran Jennifer Holliday is the second show that the 61-year-old troupe has cancelled at the beginning of its 2013-14 season. It earlier pulled the plug on “Buddy,” a jukebox musical on the life of Buddy Holly, which was to have opened at the Fox this month.
TOTS said in a statement Wednesday that it is in conversations with investors to support the production of “The Little Mermaid” scheduled Sept. 7-15 at the Fox.
It also acknowledged that the Fox has terminated TOTS’ lease so that it can fill the vacancy left by the “Dreamgirls” cancellation and that the two parties have “agreed to move forward with an at-will usage arrangement,” as the statement termed it.
In late June, TOTS announced that it needed to raise $500,000 by July 12 and another half-million by Aug. 30 or that it would be forced to shut its doors.
The campaign got a boost last week with a major gift from Roger Bobb, president and CEO of Bobbcat Films, an Atlanta-based production company. The amount of the Bobb gift was not disclosed, but it lifted overall fund-raising to more than $350,000.
The company is operating with a $650,000 debt, but officials said the bigger issue was that it needed cash to launch the season.
TOTS confirmed on Wednesday that fundraising efforts will continue. Donations can be made via 404-252-8960, www.theaterofthestars.com.
Here is “Dreamgirls” refund information, according to the Fox web site: