Atlanta Opera’s big warm-up for 2011-12 season
By Howard Pousner
As it prepares to open its 2011-12 season, the Atlanta Opera seems to be everywhere:
- It will present a free season preview, “Opera With Edge,” at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 6 at Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre. Atlanta attorney and long-time opera supporter Bob Edge will give an overview of the three-opera season (all at Cobb Energy), and Atlanta Opera singers will perform sequences from “Lucia di Lammermoor” (Nov. 12-20), “The Golden Ticket” (March 3-11) and “Don Giovanni” (April 28-May 6). Reservations required: email@example.com or 404-591-2931.
- At 4 p.m. Oct. 22, company staff and chorus will re-enact the mad scene in Donizetti’s classic opera — aka “Bloody Lucius” – in the Little 5 Points Halloween Festival and Parade.
- The company will present a free Opera Chat with members of the “Lucia di Lammermoor” cast and artistic and production crews, 7 p.m. Oct. 25 at Barnes & Noble Buckhead, 2900 Peachtree Road, N.E., Atlanta.
- It is presenting public performances of its new children’s opera “Rabbit Tales,” based on the Br’er Rabbit stories of Joel Chandler Harris, at 9:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. Oct. 26 and 11:15 a.m. Oct. 27 at Spivey Hall at Clayton State University in Morrow. $2. To reserve: www.spiveyhall.org/educational-programs.
The hour-long opera for grades K-5 will also be performed at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre’s Artsbridge program at 4 p.m. Nov. 9. 2800 Cobb Galleria Parkway, Atlanta. $7. To reserve: www.cobbenergycentre .com/education_programs .aspx.The company also is booking school performances. (Info: Emmalee Iden, 404-881-8883, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Opera board member Carter Joseph will present a free Opera 101 session at 7 p.m. Nov. 7 on “Lucia di Lammermoor” at the Atlanta Opera Center, 1575 Northside Drive N.W., Building 300, Suite 350, Atlanta. Reservations: 404-881-8801, email@example.com.
- A “Golden Ticket”-themed scarecrow represents the opera at the Atlanta Botanical Garden’s Scarecrows in the Garden through Oct. 31. 1345 Piedmont Ave. N.E., Atlanta. 404-876-5859, www.atlantabotanical garden.org.
Opera season tickets are available at 404-881-8885, www.atlantaopera .org.