accessAtlanta

City & State or ZIP Tonight, this weekend, May 5th...
City & State or ZIP
City & State or ZIP Tonight, this weekend, May 5th...
City & State or ZIP

Fox sets “Idol” dates for 2010 through March

I’m on vacation but I will include this press release verbatim from Fox. The 24-person semifinals are back, split men and women. It’s arguably a better system then last year’s but last year still ended up with a pretty good crew. I didn’t mind it as much as others.

The fact “Idol” placed Atlanta second is a good sign for talent there (compared to two years ago.) I’m going to be on my honeymoon for the week of January 17 and will tell you loyalists that Deirdre will be subbing in for me that week. She has certainly earned it and I know she’ll do a great job covering the Chicago and Orlando auditions for me.

The wait is almost over for the return of television’s No. 1 show! AMERICAN IDOL is set to return for its much-anticipated ninth season with a two-night premiere featuring extraordinary talent and outrageous new auditions from Boston Tuesday, Jan. 12 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) and Atlanta Wednesday, Jan. 13 (8:00-9:15 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

After the two-night premiere, auditions will continue for three weeks starting with the Chicago auditions on Tuesday, Jan. 19 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) and continuing from Orlando on Wednesday, Jan. 20 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT). Then, Dallas auditions will air Tuesday, Jan. 26 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT); Los Angeles on Wednesday, Jan. 27 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT); Denver on Tuesday, Feb. 2 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT); and “The Road to Hollywood” auditions on Wednesday, Feb. 3 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT)

This season on AMERICAN IDOL, the good, the bad and the awful audition for their shot at stardom. In the audition cities, Ryan Seacrest hosts, and Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi will be joined by rotating guest judges Victoria Beckham, Mary J. Blige, Kristin Chenoweth, Neil Patrick Harris, Joe Jonas, Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry and Shania Twain who will help select the hopefuls worthy of the “Golden Ticket” to Hollywood.

The lucky auditioners who get the judges’ approval then move on to the “Hollywood Round” where contestants vie for a semifinalist position during the next phase of the auditions. Once in Hollywood, Ellen joins Simon, Randy and Kara as they continue to winnow down the competitors to a select group of performers who will get to sing their hearts out each week in front of a studio audience and television viewers.

The “Hollywood Round” episodes will air Tuesday, Feb. 9 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT); Wednesday, Feb. 10 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT); and Tuesday, Feb. 16 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT). On Wednesday, Feb. 17 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), dreams come true for 24 contestants, as Simon, Randy, Kara and Ellen announce the Top 12 male and Top 12 female semifinalists.

It will then be up to America to decide who moves forward in the competition. The first performance show featuring the Top 12 female semifinalists will air Tuesday, Feb. 23 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). The following night, Wednesday, Feb. 24 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), the Top 12 male semifinalists will perform. The results show revealing America’s first vote of the season will air Thursday, Feb. 25 (8:00-9:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed), when the two male and two female contestants with the fewest votes will be sent home.

For the next two weeks, the girls will perform on Tuesdays, the guys will perform on Wednesdays and the results shows will air on Thursdays. The Top 10 female semifinalists will perform on Tuesday, March 2 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), and the Top 10 male semifinalists will take the stage on Wednesday, March 3 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). On Thursday, March 4 (8:00-9:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed), four contestants – two girls and two guys – will be eliminated from the competition. The following week, the Top 8 female semifinalists will compete on Tuesday, March 9 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT), and the Top 8 male semifinalists will perform on Wednesday, March 10 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). Then, on Thursday, March 11 (8:00-9:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed), the finalists will be revealed after four more contestants are eliminated.

The competition heats up when the finalists take the stage LIVE and for the first time together on Tuesday, March 16 (8:00-10:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed). One contestant’s journey will end when America’s vote is revealed Wednesday, March 17 (9:00-10:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed).

RECAP (All times ET/PT)

Tuesday, Jan. 12 (8:00-10:00 PM)             Season Premiere, Part 1

Boston Auditions Episode

Wednesday, Jan. 13 (8:00-9:15 PM)         Season Premiere, Part 2

Atlanta Auditions Episode

Tuesday, Jan. 19 (8:00-9:00 PM)               Chicago Auditions Episode

Wednesday, Jan. 20 (8:00-9:00 PM)         Orlando Auditions Episode

Tuesday, Jan. 26 (8:00-9:00 PM)               Dallas Auditions Episode

Wednesday, Jan. 27 (9:00-10:00 PM)       Los Angeles Auditions Episode

Tuesday, Feb. 2 (8:00-9:00 PM)                 Denver Auditions Episode

Wednesday, Feb. 3 (9:00-10:00 PM)         “The Road to Hollywood” Auditions Episode

Tuesday, Feb. 9 (8:00-9:00 PM)                 Hollywood Round, Part 1

Wednesday, Feb. 10 (9:00-10:00 PM)      Hollywood Round, Part 2

Tuesday, Feb. 16 (8:00-9:00 PM)               Hollywood Round, Part 3

Wednesday, Feb. 17 (9:00-10:00 PM)      Hollywood Round, Part 4

Top 24 Semifinalists Announced

Tuesday, Feb. 23 (8:00-10:00 PM)            Top 12 Female Semifinalists Perform

Wednesday, Feb. 24 (8:00-10:00 PM)      Top 12 Male Semifinalists Perform

Thursday, Feb. 25 (8:00-9:00 PM)              First Results Show (ET live/PT tape-delayed)

Two Male and Two Female Contestants Eliminated

Tuesday, March 2 (8:00-10:00 PM)            Top 10 Female Semifinalists Perform

Wednesday, March 3 (8:00-10:00 PM)      Top 10 Male Semifinalists Perform

Thursday, March 4 (8:00-9:00 PM)             Results Show (ET live/PT tape-delayed)

Two Male and Two Female Contestants Eliminated

Tuesday, March 9 (8:00-9:00 PM)              Top 8 Female Semifinalists Perform

Wednesday, March 10 (9:00-10:00 PM)    Top 8 Male Semifinalists Perform

Thursday, March 11 (8:00-9:00 PM)           Results Show (ET live/PT tape-delayed)

Two Male and Two Female Contestants Eliminated; Finalists Revealed

Tuesday, March 16 (8:00-10:00 PM)          Finalists Perform (ET live/PT tape-delayed)

Wednesday, March 17 (9:00-10:00 PM)    Results Show (ET live/PT tape-delayed)

One Contestant Eliminated

JTesla

December 22nd, 2009

A substitute, quick everyone change names!

Enjoy the rest of your vacation and the… next… vacation… honeymoon. Man I got in the wrong business ;)

Decent schedule, not too many triple Idol weeks and no overkill of the two hour Idol shows either. But, is that a 9:15?

— TV Tattle

December 23rd, 2009

[...] 22, 2009 "Idol" reveals schedule: 24-singer semifinals will return After deviating with a 36-person semifinals last season, "American Idol" will go back to [...]

Fox sets

Nana

Good Morning Everybody.

Today’s Quote: “It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air.”

Agree that it’s a good schedule Rodney. And, Deirdre as your fill-in was a great idea. She will no doubt do you proud. Now you can enjoy your vacation/honeymoon

I have a very short day today. Will be leaving around 10:30 and headed to LaGrange to pick up my Dad for the holidays. I have two of my grandchildren at the office with me to keep me company on my drive.

Deirdre

Morning!

Unfortunately, I will not have any actual power while subbing for Rodney. No “Off With their Heads”! No “you’re wrong so I won’t let you speak for 3 hours”! No “It’s my way or the highway”! I don’t see how this is going to be any fun at all! ;-)

Last night while hubby, Greg and I were catching a quick meal out, my little dog Gus(he of the Rocky Mountain spotted fever debacle) got into Mr Hollywood’s bag of peanut M & M’s and what was left of a Reese’s candy bar. As you know, chocolate is not good for dogs. We got home just before the puking began, thank goodness, and spent the rest of the evening cleaning up chocolate and peanut butter smelling vomit. From the looks of things, he got rid of most of it. He is fine this morning.

AI9 Spoilers - Fans Of Reality TV

December 23rd, 2009

[...] AI9 Spoilers For those that want to know. From the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Fox sets “Idol” dates for 2010 through March | American Idol Fox sets “Idol” dates for 2010 through March 7:46 pm December 22, 2009, by Rodney Ho [...]

Woodpappy

December 23rd, 2009

Gotta Love those pets, Deirdre !

Deirdre

December 23rd, 2009

Here’s a video of Matt Giraud finally singing the way he should have been singing on Idol:

wreckedpizza

December 23rd, 2009

Good question, JT. I was wondering about that 9:15 on 1/13 myself…
Did Atlanta not merit the other 45 minutes???

AJ`

December 23rd, 2009

Yep, it’s 9:15. They’re premiering that new game show with the genius kids (can’t remember the name at the moment). It was supposed to premiere at 9, but I guess Fox feels more people will watch if AI goes past 9 to 9:15.

Nana

December 23rd, 2009

Glad to know that Gus is alright, but hate the fact that you had to clean up after him.

About ready to head out, so I wanted to wish everyone a “Merry Christmas”. If you are going to be traveling, be safe.

Deirdre

Merry Christmas, Nana!

JTesla

December 23rd, 2009

Genius kids? I’d rather watch dumb adults.

Merry Christmas Nana.

Highlander

December 23rd, 2009

Wait. I’m a bit confused (apparently something I’ve been accused of quite a lot). I though Deirdre already ran the bog and Rodney was just a figurehead! :-)

Regarding that weird 9:15 end time, guess it kinda makes sense to premier a new show after the most popular show on TV, but does it really make any sense to cut that most popular show back by 45 minutes??!!

Deirdre

December 23rd, 2009

Seriously, JT…I want nothing to do with bogs! They’re wet and smelly.

Deirdre

December 23rd, 2009

Oops! Highlander is the one who has me ruling a bog. sorry JT!

JTesla

December 23rd, 2009

I like bogs, my dream in the 4th grade was to become a bog body (after I died of course). You know what, I still have that dream.

I’m kind of surprised that the 9:15 isn’t in February to milk some more numbers for sweeps month.

Harm

December 23rd, 2009

If I don’t blog tomorrow, I want to wish everyone a safe and warm MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Cherish the time with your loved ones!!! I went to the funeral today of one of the nicest ladies that I’ve ever had the pleasure to know. This wonderful woman picked up E-coli somewhere and sadly died Monday night, leaving behind a husband, 4 children and 5 small grandchildren.

Nana

December 23rd, 2009

Harm – So sorry to hear about your friend. May God in his wisdom, adorn her family with memories that will carry them through this terrible period.

I will be on here off and on during the next 10 days. I have my dad here until Jan 2, so I will spend some quality time with him.

Harm

December 23rd, 2009

Nana, have a great time with your Dad!!! :-)

Highlander

December 24th, 2009

Yeah, yeah! A single typo! You know what it is? Sometimes my brain goes so fast that my poor fingers just can’t keep up! (That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!)

I wonder if this new game show premiering after Idol is slated for 45 minutes because they’re planning limited (or no) commercials. Or they just figure when Idol ends, any show on another network will already be at least 15 minutes in so people may not want to switch channels. (Ha! They forget about the devious DVR’s and TiVo’s!) ;-)

On Its Way Out...

December 24th, 2009

Idol is on its way out…ran its course…Cowell is leaving…Paula already left…the show has become a sham…boring…predictable…and we’re just ready for something new! 2010 will be Idols last year…with judges who have no connections to the music world to who’s next? A chef as a judge? It’s like asking the garbage collector to be a judge in a decorator’s contest….puhlease.

Deirdre

Morning!

Chef?

To all our blogsters and to all Idol fans who have graced this blog with your presence over the course of its history, I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy Holiday!

kelly&carriefan

Hey y’all,

Merry Christmas and happy Holidays!

Can’t wait for Idol’s changes, and well, if Simon’s leaving…I humbly submit my resume for consideration. Though, I guess it would be more appropriate for me to replace Ellen? Since I’m funny and all… ;)

JTesla

December 24th, 2009

Merry Christmas and to our Canadian friends… Happy Boxing Day.

kelly&carriefan

December 24th, 2009

Canadian friends? Are we sucking up to Mr. Fisher already? *g* So, Boxing Day…does this mean instead of a 24-hour Christmas Story marathon they get Rocky? ;)

Not to worry, I’ve asked Santa for better jokes…

azcat225

December 24th, 2009

No Simon = No AI. Simple as that, though the death rattles were already being heard when they named Ellen as a judge. I mean, what the…….?!?!?!?!? This lurker will watch the first few weeks of regional horror highlights and then, adios.

Sidenote: I wish the sports blogs were as pleasant and fun as this one is.

Joyous and safe holidays to one and all, and to all, a good night.

kelly&carriefan

December 24th, 2009

Same to you, azcat. Feel free to pull up a chair and join in on the fun!

JTesla

December 24th, 2009

K&Cfan, if only Boxing Day were that fun. Instead of Rocky they watch a 24 hour marathon of Boxing Helena, which explains why we don’t recognize the holiday here in the US.

Mercedes S.

December 24th, 2009

Merry Christmas, and a good 2010 (I daren’t go for Happy; 2009 was pretty rough) to everyone!

War Eagle

December 24th, 2009

Merry Christmas to everyone.

harriett

December 24th, 2009

Most of the family just left, and we had tons of fun opening presents. Went to the 5:30 Christmas service of “Lessons and Carols,” along with communion, and it was simply awe-inspiring. The music was glorious, although I have to admit we Methodists and others have erred in switching from the King James Bible version of the Christmas story. The revised version does not hold the same passion for me. Oh, well. Merry Christmas to all my blog friends. I am gearing up for round two tomorrow. Guess I will watch Polar Express again before going to bed. ‘night all.

Mercedes S.

December 25th, 2009

Oh for the days of yore, when you were beset by happy squeals of “Santa’s been here! Santa’s been here” at 5 am and you were dragged out of bed to see for yourself that yes, the jolly old man had left his mark: his milk was drunk, his cookies eaten, and tons of presents dwarfed the tree.

Now it’s midday, and the “kids” are still asleep. Of course, they were up till 4 am, having flown in/driven from Denver and D.C., chatting and watching dvds of “The Hurt Locker” and “Fantastic Mr. Fox”.

So, awaiting the sharing of gifts, some movie advice on what’s opening today at your local theatre.

“Broken Embraces” – ok PedroAlmodovar/Penelope Cruz work, but not their best. Convoluted story about love and death.

“It’s Complicated” – yummy candy for women at 40+. Meryl Streep still in her happy chatter mood from “Julie & Julia”, starring as a “mature” woman torn between two lovers, ex Alec Baldwin, and new beau Steve Martin.

“Nine” – The most boring movie musical ever! Penelope Cruz, again, as one of many lovers surrounding selfish filmmaker (Daniel Day Lewis) doubting his talent. Based on Fellini’s autobiographical “8 1/2″, a must-see for movie buffs. Only for Sophia Loren fans, who may want to see what the Italian star looks like today. She looks good. Loren plays Day-Lewis’ mom, but looks like an age-appropriate date.

“Sherlock Holmes” – Director Guy Ritchie obviously has never seen Jeremy Brett’s wonderful interpretation of the famed detective, never even read any of Sir Conan Doyle’s work about him. Robert Downey Jr. horribly miscast. His Sherlock comes off as a bumbling idiot who prefers brawn to brain; any chance he gets, he turns to fisticuffs, explosions and mindless chases. He can’t even play the violin, at most he plucks forlorny at the strings.. Jude Law, almost ok as sidekick Watson, is sadly wasted, as is Rachel McAdams as perfunctory love interest. Ritchie’s “Holmes” replaces “The Transformers 2″ as worst movie of the year.

“A Single Man” – beautiful film by debuting director Tom Ford, aka fashion designer of note. Prediction: will bring Oscar nomination to Colin Firth, who does his best work ever as gay college professor in the early 60’s mourning, in secret, the death of his partner.

“Young Victoria” – fun and scrumptious saga of a young girl, kept some kind of hostage by weird mom and her controlling lover, who one day becomes Queen of England and tell her jailers to take a hike. Emily Blunt (scheming “helper” in “The Devil Wears Prada”) is a joy to watch.

JTesla

December 25th, 2009

Mercedes: thanks, but it doesn’t matter what comes out because I’ll be going to see Avatar again… and again. Actually after reading the reviews… I suggest everyone else go see Avatar again and again, in 3D. Again and again.

“Ritchie’s “Holmes” replaces “The Transformers 2″ as worst movie of the year.” LOL Any movie that features extended scenes of Megan Fox running is automatically taken off the worst movie of the year list. However, even as a devout Transformer fan boy I have to admit that without those scenes it was the worst movie I’ve paid money to see in a long time.

Highlander

December 25th, 2009

Merry Christmas to all and to all, a good night!

Glorious Tards

December 26th, 2009

Swagguh on dis ya krumped out fools!

Deirdre

December 26th, 2009

I guess the spirit of Christmas doesn’t find its way into everyone’s heart.

I had a wonderful Christmas. I hope the same can be said for all our blogsters.

JT, ditto the sentiment on Avatar. Happy to hear that you liked it, too.

linny@home

December 27th, 2009

congrats D on the “promotion” *grin*

Merry Christmas and HOPEFULLY a Happier New Year to everyone

Good to see everyone… i’m feeling as if i moved to siberia, so out of touch with everyone, LOL

RODNEY….have a great great honeymoon!

Mercedes, thanks for the reviews…i’m sharing them with family who want to go to the movies…

take care everyone….see you later!

Deirdre

December 28th, 2009

Morning!

linny, it’s good to hear from you!

War Eagle!!!!! So good to hear from you. Looking forward to your return during the season.

Mercedes, thanks for the reviews.

I am coming down with a cold. :-( My head is doing that balloon imitation that I hate and my throat is annoying me. Other than that, I had a great Christmas.

Mr Atlanta will be moving as of 12/31 and will heretofore be known as Mr Boston. Mr Hollywood will probably take over the role of Mr Atlanta sometime in February. I would explain further but y’all probably don’t really care! ;-)

kelly&carriefan

December 28th, 2009

Happy Monday mornin’, y’all!

Linny, good to see you around here, but maybe next time you come back from Siberia, you could leave the weather behind? Thanks.

D, congrats on the new gig. Hope you feel better soon…and well, I’m expecting a soap opera style announcement “The role of Mr. Atlanta has been recast.”

Hope y’all had an awesome Christmas. Mine was nice and low-key. I went to see It’s Complicated (my mom’s choice) and I loved it! It’s very reminiscent of Something’s Gotta Give, which makes sense…being it’s from the same writer and all.

KPH

December 28th, 2009

Good Morning! I hope everyone had as great a Christmas as I did!

Woodpappy

December 28th, 2009

Had a wonderful Christmas this year. Good health and visits from my children. Lotsa food, laughter, card games, even went to see Avatar over the weekend (fantastic), etc… Merry Christmas to everyone and Happy New Year!

Deirdre

December 28th, 2009

16 days until SEASON 9!!!!!!!!

OK, all you lurkers out there…it’s time to decide whether or not you’ll be joining us this year. And to all the previous Idol fan-atics, we are looking forward to getting re-acquainted with you again!

Deirdre

December 28th, 2009

And to all of you out there who are considering quitting Idol because of Ellen……stop being so closed minded and give the woman a chance! You won’t know until you try.

And to all you lurkers who were horrified to learn that I’ll be writing the blog for a week…get over it!!! It’s only a week…you can take it! ;-)

Rodney Ho

December 28th, 2009

I really took some time off from the blog. But I’m back with my top 6 favorite personal Idol interactions of 2009.

Mercedes S.

December 28th, 2009

Good to hear everyone had a great Christmas – mine too was enjoyable: lowkey (the best kind), kids at home, and lots of good food. Scales put in dark corner for the next couple of weeks! Best party so far: next-door neighbor’s ladies’ lunch. Started at 1 pm, and lasted until everybody realized it was time to go home for dinner. Best Champagne ever…

I welcome the new year, after the pretty horrendous one that was, and hope everyone has a wonderful 2010. I like the sound if it, now that we can say “twenty-” instead of “twothousandand-”.

Not many people saw “The Hurt Locker”, but since it ended up on top of most film critics’ Best of the Year lists, the company is bringing it back to the big screen. Don’t miss it!

Tresa

January 12th, 2010

Enjoy your vacation! Love is still in existence, that’s great :-)